1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Suggestions for XBOX games for young children?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sbarts, 26 Nov 2007.

1. sbarts

sbarts What's a Dremel?

Hi

Looking for some ideas for Xbox games for young children about 7 years old. It's for the old Xbox not the 360

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Definitely, definitely these Three:

Psychonauts - a cartoony platformer by Tim Schaefer about a Psychic Summer Camp for children, where the kids are trained as secret agents to defend the world. The game involves running around camp and then jumping into the minds of your enemies and turning them good again. Very funny, very accessible, very colourful and good to look at. On the old Xbox. From the guy behind Da of The Tentacle.

Beyond Good and Evil - one of my favourite games ever, it's very funny. For the kid who really enjoys a proper story. The planet of Hillys is being invaded by The Domz aliens and a young reporter, Jade, who runs a orphanage, joins up with the underground resistance. Again, it's all colourful and cartoony and by the guy behind Rayman. The story isn't gross and its rated as 7+, but the story tackles adult subjects such as the meaning of truth, the corruption of government and how to make a rocketpack powered by fart gas produced by an anthropomorphic pig. There's an open world to explore and plenty of mini-games, plus the aim of the game is never to attack people, but to photograph them and expose the truth, so the whole thing stays non-violent. There's a reason it's rated as the best game that nobody ever played. Watch the trailer.

Beyond good and evil actually reduced me to tears twice when I first played it at the age of 21. Once with happiness, once with sadness because the game is that well told and moving.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - suitable for a kid who really likes his games and wants more of a challenge. The game is beautifully told and epic, but the game has some mechanics and arenas which may be hard for a kid to master. The game involves the prince having to fight through a palace full of sand monsters to undo a curse he has accidentally unleashed. Tells like a fairy tale and once again almost had me crying, but does contain a sex scene (non explicit though).

Let me know what you get.

3. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Sands of Time is pure brilliance. Got that for Xmas one year, and it was captivating stuff. Not sure how deftly a 7yr old could manage to control it though, some bits are very hard.

Super Monkey Ball Deluxe is also on the Xbox. Really good fun for any age really.

Lego Star Wars II is also great fun. Lots of action and shooting without it being violent or anything. Obviously.

SSX is also brilliant, which ever version you get. Great fun, colourful, top music, great multiplayer, and an endless amount of fun. Controls are pretty easy too.

Last suggestion, Jet Set Radio Future. Timeless graphics, brilliant gameplay, superb music, again bags of fun. Tricky in places but nothing to unpleasant.

4. CardJoe

Super Monkey Ball Deluxe has more of a kiddy or hardcore appeal to my mind - no in between.

Lego Star Wars is a classic though and is above my original selection because you can do two player co-op. Your kid going to play alone? Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil have you covered. Want to spend some time with your kid? Lego Star Wars is a hilarious co-op experience with oodles of longevity and appeal.

5. sbarts

sbarts What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm off hunting around for the cheapest prices.

6. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Fuzion Frenzy is a good laugh for multiplayer minigame action and great for anyone of any age.

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Damnit Joe, I was just revisiting my collection and realised I'd never played BGE even though I had meant to, just got it and Armed and Dangerous now that the Backwards compatibility on 360s has been updated

8. CardJoe

Go play now then, fool. I really can't describe how much I love that game. It has weakpoints (camera is occasionally awkward, story does relax a bit in the middle) but its an awesome game.

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Can't for a few reasons

1) It's coming from Amazon marketplace
    2) I have to do my final year project
    3) I have a prelim interview for my masters next week

10. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

How about racing games? Project Gotham franchise seems pretty suitable for younger players and does not, to my knowledge, contain scantly clad females nor any mature themes.

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Classic arcade games (Tecmo, Taito, Capcom, Midway) extremely cheap (<£15 each), loads of games on each disk and their generaly well suited to any age. The graphics aren't spectacular, but gameplay is spot on for a lot of them.

Vexx is quite a good 3D platformer (had quite a few good reviews when it was released.

The Harry Potter Games
    Puyo pop Fever: puzzle game similar to Puzzle Fighter II/Dr. Mario (suitable for 3 years + according to the box).

Ghost Master: this is basicly Sim Ghost, you control a group of ghosts and try to scare the humans out of which ever house your currently haunting (Age on box is 12+, but I think a 7 year old would find it quite funny) I picked this up on PC on release and liked it so much I bout the x-box version for £3 in Gamestation last year (I think the PC version was going for a £1 in Tesco last time I looked too).

Last edited: 29 Nov 2007
  12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I have to agree about Lego Star Wars - IF the complete collection is out on XBox (not just Ep's 1-3) that's an amazingly good buy. Something like Burnout might be quite good too - #3 and 4 were the best imho.

13. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Both Lego Star Wars 1 and 2 are on the xbox, was just playing 2 with a housemate. Awesome fun and some great humour in the cut scenes.

14. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I think he means this only for the x-box instead of the 360

15. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

oh ok, well both the original Lego Star Wars are on there and both are a good laugh.

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Fair enough - was just thinking that the game Blademrk has helpfully linked to would be a single, easy purchase. :p

17. robmaio

robmaio What's a Dremel?

I would recommend lego star wars for sure

18. superpooper

superpooper What's a Dremel?

Toejam and earl!

19. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Condemned.

20. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Just after watching the Blair Witch Project, right? :eyebrow: