1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc froze now wont start! wont even post.....please help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by HairyEyeball, 12 Jun 2008.

1. HairyEyeball

HairyEyeball What's a Dremel?

hi,

been having probs with pc freezing lately (havent had time to sort it out) and it froze again yesterday but now it wont start up!

it doesnt even get as far as post. pc just lights up, fans spin, hd's sound like theyre spinning and monitor stays blank (standby mode)

I smelt a funny smell earlier in the day while pc was on, was a cross between something burning and germoline antiseptic cream??? couldnt work out where it was coming from or what it was but now THINK it may have been from my pc!!!

it stayed on for about an hour before freezing then i restarted it, once it was all booted up it froze again, thats when it wouldnt come back on again.

most of the time it froze i was either on the internet or had media playing, mostly video but some audio too. may just be coincidence though.

can anyone give me some advice on what i should be looking for?

doesnt look like anything has burnt out - cant see any scorch marks anywhere and cant smell anything and i dont have a speaker attatched (the wires kinda got caught and pulled out of the speaker unit) so cant hear any warning beeps etc..

pc specs are

pentium d 940
    zalman hs/fan
    2gb ram
    pc chips pc21g v3.1 mobo
    western digital 160gb hd (c: drive - xp installed on this)
    maxtor 250gb hd (d: drive - storage)
    pny 256mb geforce 6600 agp card
    netgear wg311t wifi pci card
    3 port firewire pci card
    thermaltake tr2 470watt psu
    2 case fans

any advice would be great
    many thanks
    trevor

Last edited: 12 Jun 2008
  2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The best thing to do would be to get a speaker on there - the mobo might tell you what's wrong.

Otherwise I'd suggest having a much closer look at the rest of the system, there could be something wrong somewhere, otherwise it'll probably be your PSU.

3. HairyEyeball

thanks for your reply
    think i may have found the problem!!!!!
    i stripped the thing out and couldnt see anything wrongly connected or burnt out or suspect in any way as i went along UNTIL i got to the cpu socket!
    i saw a glint of light out the corner of my eye and on a closer look i just about noticed there was a pin out of place in there along the centre square of pins......... i must have bent it when i rebuilt the pc a while back.
    I have put it back where it should be now and its booted up ok first time..... so hopefully it'll last out a couple of weeks so can get a new mobo lol
    thanks again for your reply
    trevor

4. HairyEyeball

after putting everything back together and back in its home it failed to boot again
    :sigh:
    BUT :lol: after dragging it back out and checking everything was back as it should be I pulled out my pci cards and noticed that my firewire card was burned out along one line on the board tut (not to fussed about that though cos dont use it very often anyways)
    left that out and all SEEMS ok (for now) lol

5. superpooper

superpooper What's a Dremel?

It will be fine now.

I was going to suggest removing your graphics card. I always remove that, followed by any pci cards. Normally if there's a fault with any of those, then the pc will refuse to do anything.