1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK Trading Standards opposes online retailers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Jun 2008.

1. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Yes but a minor using their parents' ccard in an online transaction is rarely going to be prosecuted -- more of a reprimand for the guardians NOT monitoring their child's actions/behaviours.

<sigh> No, no - I *meant* in an online situation -- I didnt mean little Timmy walked up to the BestBuy or HMV shop with Papa's ccard - Of course in that situation it shouldnt work as you're right, it isn't 20 years ago when that may have worked.

I meant they purchased the goods online, which is where this whole debate was originating from -- the fact that retailers don't have online security measures to ensure the buyer IS the age their ccard says they are.

The whole issue is that minors can nab their parents' ccard, hop onto the interwebbtubes and buy GTA IV without any form of age check as the card itself IS the age check and the idiot law makers want to reolve the issue by implementing either stricter guidelines on games or the content and types of content in those games.

All because parents arent instructing their children on what is and isn't acceptable behaviour at an early age, and are instead leaving it to the govt, media and other non-family related officials to make the decisions. Which invariably ends up withus getting fuct over "for the sake of the children".

F*ckin' breeders...

2. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

i don't understand why they are only focusing on video games... I've ordered mead off the net from a site that sold loads of other alcohol and they had no security checks to see if your 18.
    also couldn't you just do it through a supermarket too? order loads of violet games films and alcohol and when they deliver it just say, my parents are out if they ask. :)

3. supaste

supaste What's a Dremel?

Sigh, these agencies that filter out anything good which comes from the media piss me off. If only they would understand that all these things do not corrupt children's minds, or at least teenages. Why is it that people are allowed to go out and have sex many years before they are 18 but for them to see this on a telivision screen is harmful.

4. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

It should be down to the parents to decide whether their children are mature enough/ready to see things like that.
    Rather than the responsibility being laid on the retailer to make sure no one under 18 buys it.

Although, if we had that system, I'm not sure how well most parents would make such decisions. Actually.. I'm pretty sure a lot of them would be very bad at it.

5. -=Nemes1S=-

-=Nemes1S=- What's a Dremel?

Anyone else think that this study 'MAY' have been payed for by companies that do not have websites and are losing out to lower price on-line alternatives??

6. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I have had a Solo card since I was 13 which allowed me to buy pretty much anything online and have never had any from of ID check even though the cards is for under 18s only (pretty much)
    And who exactly are they going to lock up if something is sold? Presumably in a normal shop it is down to whoever sold the thing so that means they are going to be locking up servers?!

7. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Perhaps all online shops, supermarkets and small traders for 18 rated movies, games and alcohol and cigarettes should oly allow transactions via credit card. Visa and Mastercard only. this allows the retailers to say they were, to the best of their knowledge only selling to over 18's. Then if kiddies do use parents cards its down to the parents to police the use of their own wallets. If I'de tried using my parents cards when i was 15, i'de have been on the way to whooping street

8. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I suggest online retailers require all purchases to be made in person at their stores, have I won a prize for my solution? :)

9. Major

Major Guest

I suggest everyone to stop moaning like little idiots and discuss things usefull. :/

(Talking to UKTS)

10. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Without a fingerprint (assuming there is a database entry to match to), or a DNA sample (ways around this even), there will never be a way to authenticate that a purchaser online is who they are supposed to be regardless of age.

Parents need to step up to the f***in plate and be aware of what their kids are doing. However, I don't believe that you necessarily have to be 18 to play a rated M game, but in that case the parents need to make the judgement call on whether their kid is mature enough to play the game.

It is not games that lawmakers really need to focus on right now. The most disturbing trend is the social networking sites that young people are using these days. Our local Public Broadcasting Station had a very eye-opening special on this. The online bullying, humiliation, leading to real world retaliation. Kids giving out personal info without really thinking/knowing about the potential consequences. Predators posing as young people on these sites. These issues are far more important than a 16yr old buying a rated M game.

True evil is out there, but games and movies don't cause it.

11. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

There is one popular, secure, and anonymous payment option that is--mostly--without age or credit restrictions:

Paypal.

If they want to employ some system of age verification onto online retailers, then just enact some age validation system against the Paypal account holder.

12. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I coudnt agree less, why? lots of stuff cant be bought anymore in retail shops, often buying online is the only way, so you would completly ban certain products for everyone.

yes and there is the main problem, some do enforce age limits, but the shop across the street wont.. point is, companies dont like to turn down money so many shops rather risk the fine than turning down a customer.

13. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

That's kind of the solution UKTS seems to want though :p Save the kids etc :clap:

14. Sark.inc

Sark.inc What's a Dremel?

And thats how it should be, i don't know how most of these kids get away with it.

15. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

Ban everything.

Just everything.

Even air. Then there will be no one to make, buy or sell the games. Problem solved.

16. 3dHeli

3dHeli What's a Dremel?

My 9 year old cousin was bought 18+ games by his parents. Not on purpose on their part, they simply didn't have any idea about computer games and the thought never occured to them, nor did they see the age requirement on the box as a form of restriction, rather advice for what age group the game was suited to (like Lego might say for ages 4+). I would have thought this is a common occurance.

17. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

My god! I'm not the only one! WooHoo!

What happened to Freedom of Choice? Responsibility, Respect?

Soon you will need a License to buy anything other than BubbleBobble.

I pity my Daughter, she'll grow up thinking this kind of Needless Restriction is Normal.

18. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

You're missing the point of the Trading Standards demonstration. The underage "customers" used postal orders to buy goods - no deception (such as using an adult's credit card) is allowed in TS stings. The e-tailers targeted were ones using auction sites, most made no attempt to check age.
    A realist. Parents need help enforcing the rules they believe are right, instead they fight constant pressure on each rule because someone, somewhere, thinks they know better. :rolleyes:

Tags: Add Tags