1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding A3 PC - design updated

Discussion in 'Modding' started by pistol_pete, 8 Jun 2008.

1. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Hiya

Right, my old pc (1.3Ghz duron) is currently sitting un-used in a beige box. I'd like to turn this into a low-power media server / folding machine / something similar.

When I built my current system I only had one case, so put the old system in a cardboard box (aka boxputer) during the transition. Amazingly I managed to fit it all into a cardboard box some of the components came in. This gave me the idea for the layout for this new case - except the PSU won't be resting on the PCI slots!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I present A3 PC:

[​IMG]

Very creative, eh?

[​IMG]

The idea is to separate the boxy components on the bottom from the motherboard on the top. This is the best use of space I could find, but also with these key limitations

Budget - around £60. Most of this cost will be the perspex (~£40). Will also need some screws, new standoffs, superglue, anti-vibration stuff, fan grills, and 2 or 4 120mm fans (already have 2 tricools, but they are red).
    Tools - Hacksaw, 12V drill. Could get a circular saw from my dad too, but it's 150 miles away.
    Skills - none.

The case will be made of perspex - after first playing about putting the components together, I realised that it could be done with the footprint of roughly a piece of A3 paper. Thus I decided to build the frame from 7 pieces of A3 sized perspex (6 for the outer surfaces, and 1 for the inner motherboard shelf), hence the "A3 PC". This will minimise the amount of cutting I need to do with my limited tools, the top and front pieces will be uncut, and all the cut edges will be to the bottom or rear where they can't be seen. Also, A3 size is easy to find on ebay and other UK suppliers and has lesser posting costs than one large sheet.

Whilst not very accessible, the motherboard will easy lift out so you can get to the lower components. I hope to build (or ideally buy!) corner joints and screw it together as much, rather than glue, so it easily comes apart. This also means if one panel gets damaged or I need to cut new holes for future upgrades I can just replace one panel.

There will be 2 120mm fans at either end, pulling in at the CPU end and pushing out at the other. I should be able to run the 1.3ghz duron passive instead of using it's noisy 60mm fan, otherwise I'll undervolt that to 7v. The hard disks might get quite warm with only the PSU sucking out downstairs - I'll need to make holes in the motherboard tray to get the fat IDE cables down and 20pin cable up, so this will provide some air flow. If it gets hot down there I'll put in a small 60 or 80mm fan down there to keep the air moving.

[​IMG]

Lower level - there is potential to upgrade to 4 HDDs by removing one of the CD drives.
    [​IMG]

All the interfaces will be at the rear - I/O, power button, and CD drives. This leaves the front panel clean and won't attract attention.

[​IMG]

I'm yet to optimise the way it screws together, I'll definitely use smaller bolts. Also, I haven't decided on the final height of the upper level - there will be enough height in the A3 perspex to have full-sized expansion cards, but the 120mm fans will provide some good structural support and I'd rather limit the height to 12cm for this reason. My Geforce 4 MX certainly doesn't need all the height!

One of the key aims is noise reduction. With all the airflow from the fans, I'll be able to keep them at very low speed, and all the moving parts will have anti-vibration fittings.

Now if this all seems like madness, fear not! Having the footprint of an A3 sheet of paper, I stuck two A4 together and tried fitting it all together. I used a spare bit of A3 clear perspex to support the mb. It all fitted together and I wired it up fine, only the thick rigid IDE cables caused some bother.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the mug is just for support! The other side was resting on the PSU but I want to raise this a couple of cm to get more aiflow and room for HDDs down below.

I think I will use opaque black perspex. I considered clear, but this reveals the (probable) poor quality of the joins, and does anyone want to look at a 6 year old motherboard and beige cd drives?

I'll need to fit dust filters to the fans, and may put a mesh over the intakes rather than the classic fan grills. Also, because the front and top panel will be essentially bare, I could add some features in future - carry handles, a small touch screen...

I've also realised that this case will be very upgradable. If anything getting a new MB and HDDs with sata cables will make things easier, and for a server/folding system I don't need to fit a huge graphics card or HSF upstairs. All the dimensions are standard ATX sizes - the only limit would be the length of the PSU, and no 120mm intakes on it either.

Just one quick question - does anyone know a good supplier for perspex in the UK? At the moment I'm looking at 7 sheets of opaque black A3 perspex at £4.50 each from here.

Also, should I be fussy about cell cast / extruded? I'd rather save some money, and I wont be bending it so will extruded be suitable?

The ideas are all ready, so just need to commit to buying the perspex now.

I'd love some feedback on the concept, and any tips for working with the perspex.

Pete

Last edited: 18 Jun 2008
  2. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Nice Concept. Where are all the cords going to go?(where's the hole in between levels?)

3. pistol_pete

I'll make holes for these at the front of the motherboard tray (the IDE slot side) - there is a 5cm gap here where I can cut a hole. It might be quite a long hole if it needs more airflow on the lower level, and I can design and airscoop to push some flow down there.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I think you're going to need a fan in the bottom to keep the hard drives nice a cooool.

5. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

nice concept, but it's definitely been done before.

6. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

So? Everything has been done before. Who cares? It looks fine, he has not claimed it's new and whoever decides to build his own case deserves respect. Go ahead! Looks fine! :thumb:

7. Farmboy UK

Farmboy UK Hungry for knowledge

Very nice, like it. Gunna need some cooling for the drives

8. pistol_pete

A wee update - I've now ordered 8 sheets of 5mm A3 cell cast black opaque perspex. Need 7 but thought I would get an 8th incase I mess something up.

I've also changed the design to have two 200mm Antec Big Boys. I have found these for £13.90 at Lambdatek, and I know from the one I've got on my Antec nine hundred they are about as quiet as they come at 800rmp, whilst still sucking up 80cfm. I could push this down further as I'll be using a fan controller, not just the built-in 3 way speed switch. This will also cool the lower deck, and whilst I was never concerned about my two 32GB HDDs getting hot, you lot clearly are.

I've also added a mesh (probably from ACRyan) which should be a bit more stylish than the oldskool fan grills I was planning to use with the 120mm fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had planed to make the corner joints from brass inserts and cubes of perspex, but as you wont be able to see them I might just use metal corner brackets.

I've also increased the height so you can get full height PCI cards in the top deck. I've got a spare I/O bracket, but the PCI slots will only be cut as needed. The case won't be moved much, and even so the cards will be vertical so won't move much. If I really needed I can drill a hole in the PCI brackets and put a bolt through them into the case. Failing that, superglue, but I'm not concerned the mighty weight of my Geforce 4 MX will cause it to break free from it's slot anytime soon.

I'll also have to invent some 200mm dust filters. The primary function of this case could actually be to remove dust from the air in my room, not actually house a computer system.

I'm going home to Aberdeen at the weekend to borrow my Dad's circular saw to cut the perspex to size, so I'll take some photos and get a project log up soon.

Pistol.

9. razer121

razer121 What's a Dremel?

definatly a better design second time round, would fit a turbin style on the front fan mind :) just a lil "idea" if you wana add it, anyway is that insulating tape on the hdd cable? j/w.....

10. pistol_pete

Ha, indeed it is. That was done before spiral wrap or cable sleeves were invented. ;)

I've started the build now - A3PC Project Log