Modding Toggle Switches

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GavX, 7 Jul 2008.

1. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

How exactly will these work in a computer system? I know they are there to act as a jumper sending a signal to the mobo.. blah. But the power button is not held down, where as in a switch surely they would be? Is there a way to get around this using regular toggle switches as I had a bit of an idea but sadly its coming apart fast :( I see MNPCTech have some going, but they are fairly expensive and shipping from the US might cost a fair bit.
    Ta
    Gav

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Not necessarily. Does no one bother to look at the stickies? :sigh:
    If the switch isn't spring-loaded you can still add a bit of electronics to send a single short pulse (see monostable).

3. lost_modder

lost_modder What's a Dremel?

anything labeled as "momentary" will work for power & reset switches.

4. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

had a brief look at the stickies and couldnt see anything, and was getting confused by the ammount Maplin seem to sell, thanks lost_modder

5. wsurritte

wsurritte What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't it matter if it was momentary on or off?

6. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Momentary means that the connection is made momentarily, enabling the two pins on the motherboard to create a complete circuit and for the system to switch state from off to on and vice versa. There is no momentary on or off.

7. swift_wraith

swift_wraith I love you Pig.

You wouldnt use the toggle switches for reset/power buttons. You would use them for other things such as power for extra fans or lighting systems (who needs a computer lighting the room while you're trying to sleep?)

Also, Bills switches may cost a little more than the standard one from local store/maplins but the build quality is second to none. And Bill doesnt charge the earth for postage, from my last order it looked like he actually made a loss shipping it here to the uk.

8. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Momentary = non latching

You turn a latching switch into momentary with a flip-flop circuit
    You turn a latching switch into momentary with a monostable multivibrator (something like a pulsed output from a 555 timer?)

cpemma, didn't you have some examples on your fan control website?

9. lost_modder

It does, they should be "normally open" switches for our modding purpose. "Normally closed" - momentary off - wasn't mentioned because they are greatly outnumbered by the momentary on switches. They look identical, but I linked the different kinds.

Normally open

Normally closed

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Of turning a momentary switch into a latching with a few alternatives to the flip-flop. For latching -> momentary there are several alternatives to the one-shot monostable that will deliver a short pulse every time the toggle is operated.
    [​IMG]

11. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

That's clever. My solution would have been much more complex.

(Thinking about studying electrical engineering though)

12. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

Well I got 4 today, 2 Momentary and 2 latching, thanks for the help, I now have the joy of drilling holes into my 900 :D hopefully will look the business when its done, not sure how to cover up the old power and reset (I removed the USBs and audio earlier, as I never uses them and being on the top of a case on a desk was a little akward) so maybe a nice aluminium plate or something. to confirm, for the momentary I want the following
    \ |---- connects to the blue wire
    (switch) \|---- connects to the white wire
    |---- nothing

when the switch in the above position, the power cable will turn on the mobo, but it will then spring down and only connect the white wire to nothing, so not actually doing anything, same again for the cold cathodes but obviously it stays in theh same position? Sorry for the assci-tastic drawings... :D

13. lost_modder

yea one in the middle, then one to whichever is labeled "N.O."

14. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

Ok, one switch done.. first time soldering, but I think I done a not bad job... was panicking when the solder kept dissapearing whenever I touched it with the iron, but I will get thehand of it, onto the power switch and I will tackle the rest tomorrow, thanks for the help

15. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

for some reason every switch does the opposite of what I wired it to, so a simple resolder will sort this, but kind of annoying, and not really sure why its doing this, but doubtlessly my own fault :D I must say, they look the business