1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random Freezing with 8800 GTS 512

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by klutch4891, 12 Jul 2008.

1. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

I bought the GTS in my sig a few weeks ago to replace my 8600 GT; and ever since I installed the card my computer randomly freezes. There is no warning or pattern to when the computer will freeze but it seems like every couple of hours I have to restart my computer again.

I was wondering what kind of input everyone had as to what the problem is, whether its overheating or not enough power etc so any input would be appreciated.

btw I haven't overclocked the card past the overclocked speeds it came at. and Im using XP SP3 if that has any bearing.

2. Joes2silly

Joes2silly What's a Dremel?

What power supply do you have? It may not be getting enough power....

3. klutch4891

Its an Ultra 600 watt modular. It came with the case, and Im trying to talk myself into buying a new psu and a Lian Li at the same time.

4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Ultra products aren't the best out there, but they are neither in the same class with Rosewill and Deer.

What temperarures are you getting with the card?

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Nothing wrong with an Ultra, they might not be top-drawer, but they're pretty damn good.

Sounds like a weird driver problem to me - try removing and reinstalling the graphics drivers. After that I'd suggest trying the older drivers - I had to switch back to 169.12 recently because every 3D game just crashes all the time on the new set.

6. klutch4891

Ill try that thanks, but uh... how do I remove the drivers?

7. Pos1tron

Pos1tron Hello Mobo

Having encountered similar problems with an 8800gtx, I would agree with mm vr that your card is likely overheating. Download the Nvidia System Monitor, install it and see what it says for your GPU. If it's below 80C, I'd say that there's near zero chance that the card is getting too hot - it should be fine up till ~100C for sure, though it would have a shorter lifespan.

Should it show temperatures higher than 80, use rivatuner (http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner) to ramp up fan speeds to 100% for a couple of days just to be sure it's not overheating.

To answer your question though, go to Start -> All Programs -> Add or Remove Programs, then select NVIDIA Driver (or similar name) and select uninstall. You'll then want to restart the computer [this is vital, and if you didn't do it before when switching gfx cards, it could be the problem] and install the latest drivers from the nvidia website (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us).

If you still have problems, use the NFR (Nasty File Remover, it gets rid of bad driver files, see google) after uninstalling the drivers and when having rebooted in safe mode.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2008
  8. klutch4891

Thanks a ton. and Im pretty sure it isnt overheating, I already used Rivatuner to bump the fan up to 65% (after that its just too loud). But Ill definitely try the drivers because I didnt do that when I switched cards.