1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightning and PC's don't mix.... or do they?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fiddlesticks, 11 Jul 2008.

1. fiddlesticks

fiddlesticks What's a Dremel?

Hi, i just got my hands on some old pc's that i wanted to use to basically take apart and practice on.

One of these old machines is completely intact and actually has a better processor than whats in the machine i'm using now, so i thought i might start using it as a second pc. Trouble is that its been struck by lightning (???) according to the guy in the shop who gave it to me.

Now this is probably a really stupid question to those who know a lot more than i do about this sort of thing and i suspect i already know the answer, but here goes - if i install a new PSU in it, is there a chance it might work? Now if a pc is struck by lightning, would it just fubar the PSU or would every single component in the machine be burnt out? (strange question, i know;))

Also, if the lightning strike has buggered the mobo and processor, i was wondering if maybe the HDD would be salveageable - its just an 80GB seagate but if it hasn't been fried then it would do nicely as a secondary HD.
    I know that if i got busy with the ol screwdriver and installed the seagate into my main pc then i'd know the answer to whether it still worked or not but i just haven't got time to do it. So i'm asking (dumb) questions on here instead....!

Any suggestions? B:D

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yes, there's a chance it might work - it depends on how severe the lightning damage was, and how good the PSU was at protecting it. It's worth a try anyway. :)

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

get a relativly cheap PSU to give it a try. most good brand PSU will shield the components on DC side from lightning.

4. fiddlesticks

fiddlesticks What's a Dremel?

well, everything in the lightning-zapped machine was buggered except the HD which seems to be perfectly ok. So now its sitting inside this pc about to have linux installed on it - dual boot system, here we go!

5. Joes2silly

Joes2silly What's a Dremel?

Sorry, didn't read you last post....