1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please help - pc problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JasE, 9 Oct 2002.

1. JasE

JasE What's a Dremel?

Hi! This is my first post on here so sorry its a problem! I need some help though..

I've got some new kit: MSI KT4-Ultra BSR mobo, 256mb ddr ram, athlon XP 1800, enermax psu, WD800JB hdd but am having mega problems..

I got this new stuff because my old pc was playing up - windows got corrupted, even when it was a fresh install. back to the new problem - i loaded winXP setup, formatted the new drive, installed the files and rebooted. when i rebooted the monitor went onto power save mode. sometimes when i pressed reset it did reset but others it didnt. i had to run the setup again it stopped half way through loading the setup files with an error message. i rebooted, ran the setup again, it loaded the setup files but it told me to format the drive again. i proceeded to do so but it stuck on 0%. so I rebooted and again it went into power save mode.

When i switch the machine on, all the fans start spinning, lights flash etc, but nothing on the screen. I've reseated the memory, cleared the cmos, but no luck. my mobo has got a bios diagnostic utility (4 led's) and this is telling me there is a problem with the processor. Is it the processor do you think?

2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

As the BIOS is telling you it's the CPU, have you checked it? Is it seated all the way into the socket? No bent pins or anything?

Welcome to the forums, BTW. Sorry it's not a happier first post for you.:sigh:

3. JasE

JasE What's a Dremel?

Hi, I haven't checked the cpu as the heatsink/fan is going to be a bugger to get off and back on as usual. but when i did seat the cpu originally it went in with no trouble at all.

just to mention i tried a different hard drive in my new setup that i used in my previous system and all went ok but windows corrupted again, and my bios said there was a boot sector virus on it. after a low level format it still played up so i went and got this new one.

4. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

What heatsink are you using, and are you sure it was correctly installed? What make is the memory you're using? Set the system to safe defaults (slow memory timings, etc) in order to install the OS. Tweaking comes later with new kit.

5. JasE

JasE What's a Dremel?

Hi, i'm using the heatsink that came with the cpu (boxed). Thing is it won't even boot up now so can't go into the bios :(

6. MadGamer

MadGamer What's a Dremel?

Hmmm that defiantely has got something to do with the proc.
    I remember when i installed my first cpu and it wouldnt boot up because i had chipped the core with the crappy coolermaster cooler.
    Im not saying that u might have done that but if i was u i would have given it a good check to see if anything is wrong with the cpu.

7. JasE

JasE What's a Dremel?

i've emailed scan where I got it saying that I've got a faulty processor. lets see what happens. in the meantime i'll check it tonight. it all looked ok when i put it in tho

8. JasE

JasE What's a Dremel?

bit of an update.. i put in my old duron and it worked fine! but i put in my modem card and it stopped working. but why would that card stop the computer booting up? got to try the new processor without the modem tonight as I forgot to do that last time :p