1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for a good, well priced motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pos1tron, 13 Jul 2008.

1. Pos1tron

Pos1tron Hello Mobo

What are the best motherboards around right now for Intel quad-core (q6600) overclocking but with a reasonably low (160 pounds at most, less if possible) price tag? No preference for Crossfire or SLI Support, I likely won't use either.

Right now I've got a q6600 (and 8800gtx) lying around on a terrible Dell mobo (and case) with no overclocking. To save money until Nehalem comes along, I'd like to extend the life of my current setup by getting a new case and mobo, and keeping as many of the current components as I can (not the Delled RAM and Sound Card though).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: 14 Jul 2008
  2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

p35 for non-sli, p45 for never ram support, and newer features. x38 for crossfire, decent boards.

I'd suggest a p35, best bang for the buck, and it'll hold its own until the new cpu's are out.

3. Pos1tron

Pos1tron Hello Mobo

Thanks :) for the suggestions, I'm looking at probably getting a p35 then. I'm going to take a good look at reviews and so forth, but which brands, or particular boards, should I avoid (or investigate) within those?

The P5K Deluxe seems quite highly recommended, and seems near perfect for me, and I expect I could muster up a little extra money for a q9450 and maybe a new graphics card to make it worthwhile.

Last edited: 14 Jul 2008
  4. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I hear a lot of good things about the abit p35 E board. :)

5. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I've got the abit p35, not the newest model with the black heat syncs though, i have the second newest (gold heat syncs) and i am happy with it. Has a nice lcd readout for troubleshooting, clear cmos button and it supports 45 nm cores. The p5k deluxe also looks good, but i have no experience with that board.

6. getzephyr

getzephyr What's a Dremel?

I don't have much experience with using 8800gtx, but I came across this site it has some models of motherboard, hope this could help you.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i have q6600 overclocked to 3.4Ghz on my Abit iP35 Pro, and 8800GTX on it.

but my iP35 Pro is rev1.0. they've got a newer version, Abit iP35 Pro EX. get that :)

any questions about overclocking or getting 8800GTX work on the Abit board, PM me.

8. deltaworld

deltaworld What's a Dremel?

I'd recommend to go for the Asus P5K Premium-AP/Wi-Fi Black Pearl Edition Rev 2 00 G Motherboard, it has been around for awhile so all the bugs have been ironed out with the latest bios of 0612. Its a great overclocker with the FSB being stable at speeds over 400Mhz and its great with the q6600 as I have one with that configuration. It is a iP35 motherboard so supports Crossfire but the crossfire is not great as you can't get 2x16 PCI-e lanes but you would get 2x8 pci-e lanes, so not really worth it if you really want to crossfire. It is better that you get 1 good GFX than go for a xfire.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i thought the Black Pearl Edition of P5K is the one where you cannot change the RAM.

10. Pos1tron

Pos1tron Hello Mobo

Well I'll have a look at all the suggestions, thanks.