1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a New Rig...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mod_Man_1, 28 Jul 2008.

?

Which System Should I build?

Poll closed 31 Jul 2008.
  1. AMD Based Game Rig

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Intel Based Game Rig

33 vote(s)
    84.6%
  1. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

Hmm, if you enjoy squeezing everything out of a CPU and making records, thats fine, and can be called a hobby etc..

But i cant help but think there is no logic with bottlenecking a system so much, especially when your spending alot on it. SO..
    To get back to the very first question, Intel will give you better results for your new rig build. The q6600 will out preform any of the phenom range, as far as im aware of.

2. Mod_Man_1

Mod_Man_1 What's a Dremel?

First off, Chrisb2e9,

The setting you are using is OVERCLOCKING the motherboard, On the motherboard I have selected has a resident FSB, MT's, or HTT's your choice of 2600 MHZ / 5200 MT's with an AMD AM2+ Chip and has a 1066 Mhz resident RAM speed with an AMD AM2+ Chip. That is right out of the box, NO OVERCLOCKING !!!

WGY said
    and you replied
    Please re-read WGY's quote and you will see where is says the word "PROVE", a reply of It doesn't is not any form of proof for or against it is just a childish way of say I can not think of a good comeback right now or that you have no proof.

WGY,

Thank you for the great link, very informative and helpful, Made a lot of sense to me. Again Thanks

Ok, I have my build and I am not looking for opinions on it, just showing what I am going to build. I have selected all my items from Tigerdirect really for 2 reasons, 1. They have a local store to me 2. They are willing to offer me a discount because I plan to spend over $4000 on two rigs.

Motherboard
    CPU
    Video Card
    RAM
    HD
    DVD
    PSU
    PhysX Card
    Case
    Operating Sysytem
    Monitor

This is a build that was put together with the help of AMD and their very talented English speaking tech people.

It will be about a month before I will start the build, but when I am finished, I will gladly run a 3Dmark benchmark and see what we get(thou it really is not reliant). If you really want to see how good a game rig is, I will put mine up against yours in a game of Battlefield 2 or 2142, or Call of Duty 4 your choice and your funeral.:eeek:

MOD Man

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

If you had read what wgy had written in his post you would see that he was saying that intel is better than amd. I agree with him(and i've already proven that so why would I do it yet again?), as does everyone else who has written in this thread. The reason I put "it doesn't" is because I was showing that I agreed with his earlier statements. Not becuase I was being childish.

Oh and the cpu you picked out, not a bad way to spend $235 as it is priced on tigerdirect.com, but you could get the q6600 for $219. Oh and by the way,
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/735/11/
    the q6600 has the same performance.

So you came here looking for scientific fact as to which is better, intel or amd, we have proven a few times over now that intel is and you are still buying amd. why?
    As for testing a pc vs a pc in a game, you do have a more expensive video card than I do. so its not really fair, I paid 200 dollars less than you did and my card has the same performace:
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=13
    I'm running a 4850 by the way. (ok, i admit it, my card runs less than 1 fps slower, pretty good for 200 bucks cheaper though)

you could of bought a 4870 for 100 dollars less than the 3870 x2 and had better performance, or you could buy two 8800gt's in sli for the same price and had much better performance. but you didn't listen to reason before so I dont see why you will now.

And about the power supply you picked, you might want to read reviews of the hardware you plan on buying before you buy it:
    http://jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=92
    that one for example gives it a 5.5 out of 10. its a long review so I will spare the details here. Do yourself a favor, buy a quality PSU and get a corsair. and you dont need 900W, a 620 will do fine. regardless of what amd says.

Why even come here asking for help and then ignore it, talk to a sales rep who just wants a commision, and then waste your money?
    Honestly, why?

Last edited: 29 Jul 2008
  4. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Let's start ourselves off nice and simple.
    The 3870x2 < 4870.
    Corsair Dominator is too expensive for the performance you get; $289 for 4x1gb? For $289, you can get 4x2gb of PC8500 or up.
    Apevia makes some of the worst power supplies around.
    PhysX is pretty useless.

Have fun wasting your money.

5. Mod_Man_1

I was told that I get a better performance with a big single card over 2 smaller cards.

I am buying from Tiger Direct, give me some alternative to what I have selected. For the PSU, I need something crossfire certified and 1000W, and the physX cards was just an idea, may not actually get it as most are saying they are not worth it.

MOD Man

6. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

MODman, no probs about the link, i hope it clarified some key points in FPS and other common graphic questions.

okay, ive looked through your "rig to be" and think you have a few flaws... (other than the AMD cpu)

PhysX ? now, im not too sure you would get a big preformance increase with these installed... if i were you, i would bank that spare cash, and upgrade CPU or buy another card and go crossfire,

i know this is a UK link in GBP's, but its purly for reference.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-071-GW&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=939&name=Gainward%20ATI%20Radeon%20HD%204870%20512MB%20GDDR5%20TV-Out/Dual%20DVI/HDMI%20(PCI-Express)%20-%20Retail

wondering what the preformance of this card is like? well, look at Bit-Techs summer round up 2008 of graphics cards, it did VERY well, coming second/third to Nvidia's GTX280/GTX260 at almost half the price.

so, this 4870 will out preform your chosen card, and if the money saved from physX allows you to add another? then your :rock: much much more preformace than your currently selected card.

PSU, atm there has been ALOT of good reviews, and ALOT of happy customers with the Corsair TX range.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-011-CS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1084&name=Corsair%20TX%20750W%20ATX2.2%20SLI%20Compliant%20PSU
    750watts will be more than enough for a system with crossfire, and overclocking, 1000watts for what your buying isnt overkill or playing it safe. its just a bit silly.

you know my stance on Intels quad core, it really would benefit you if you decide on crossfire. the bottleneck effect will be reduced, and more preformace all round.

please, for your own peice of mind, check up on the "hardware" tab on this website, and look at bit-techs great reviews. they are un biased, and preform a large range of tests to really see what comes out on top. before trusting us, forum lurkers and telephone reps, look at professional reviewers. :thumb: have fun building.

7. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Is that a already quad pumped figure or the actual which will rise to 4132? First is very low second would be very high :confused:

Edit: what on earth are you buying a Phenom for in that build you posted above, have you read and understood some of the links that have been posted in this thread a E8400 or Q6600 are just better O_O

8. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

**FACEPALM**

right im gonna spec you up a pc that will provide superior performance to what you have already selected

CPU $180
    Motherboard $230
    RAM $101
    PSU $110
    Graphics Card $275

im just showing what i would change, and i can guarante that this will out perform what you have chosen, for playing games.
    also i am saving you money with this set up. as it stands, these items cost $896 but what you have chosen (cpu,ram psu , mobo ,GFX) will cost you $1325

i also agree that the physics card is not needed saving you a further $75
    and also are you sure you need vista ultimate? home premuim will offer everything you need for gaming saving you $80
    all this money that you will save from buying this setup can be put towards annother HD4870 or a Q9450 making your gaming rig even more powerfull.

dont ignore this like you have everyone elce. im only trying to help you save money :)

EDIT: damn ive just realised that i may be too late. if i am you sir are a fooooool

9. joose

joose What's a Dremel?

10. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

but I will NEVER use an intel CPU.

^^ Kind of says it all, we post here to help people Mod Man, if you have already made up your mind and are not swayed even with a mountain of evidence to the contrary of what you believe then you are just wasting our time, spend all your money on cheese slices for all I care, they beat both Intel and AMD in the edibility benchmarks :p

11. chrisb2e9

and that is correct, the problem here is that the 3870x2 is not a big card. its older and even when it was new it wasn't that good. before the 4xxx series of cards came out from ati, nvidia was the brand to buy.
    Nvidia still has the top power cards, the gtx280 for example. but for the price of it get two 4850's instead for similar performance but at a better price.

12. Fredrics

Fredrics Hmm...

Wow you guys have put him through a hard time.

He obviously has already decided that amd is for him. I hope it all goes well for you and your son, tbh to play cod4 and bf2142 you wont need a very good rig at all, my 8800gt gets 100 fps on bf2142 and around 80 on cod4.

If possible try not to go for sli or crossfire as they can be detrimental to the game especially on older games such as bf2. Go for the 4870 over the 3870x2 unless your set on that as well.

13. joose

joose What's a Dremel?

You were also 'told' that Intel is the better value over AMD. Why is that good enough for the video card, and not the CPU? Just curious. :wallbash:

Anyhow, I'll let it be. Time to find something else to fixate on now...oh look...a bird!

14. Fredrics

Fredrics Hmm...

yes and no, however the 3870x2 is 2 "smaller cards" whereas the 4870 is a "big single card"

15. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

@Mod_Man_1 okay, so your going to stick with AMD? your choice...

...but after reading this http://www.forumapex.com/anything_go...our_input.html
    and re-reading your previous comments demanding facts? issuing personal challenges? feels like being......spat on.

Im sure its annoying trying to get a straight answer when everyone tells you the same thing "intel good - amd bad" etc.
    So read Bit-Techs guides while your here. could save you alot of time and hassle. im sure the explanations and benchmarks will show you the "facts".

but as i said, your choice. if youve chosen, please let us all know so the community can stop trying to show/prove/link you to reasons we ALL feel you should get Intel over AMD.

16. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I have had enough of people coming onto forums, not just here, and asking for advice, as someone who has less knowledge than us, and in this case, the guys over at PC Apex (hello!), and then arguing with the stuff that they are being told. It isn't just computers. It is anything.

Everybody who has replied in this thread have already told you that Intel are the slower choice over AMD. We have given you evidence, here from bit-tech, that supports what we have said. There are people here who are AMD fans, that have gone with Intel. We have people who own, or have owned, Intel and AMD machines. There are AMD owners, right now with Phenoms, that are telling you to go Intel. This "might" suggest that Intel are the better choice. If you have even bothered to do any research yourself, you might have noticed, on every single PC enthusiast website, and community, that Intel is the way to go. An overclocked AMD processor is comparable, or slightly slower to, an Intel counterpart. Intel overclocked, and the AMD chips are minced. There is no point in having an uber fast FSB, or HT bus in this case, if the processor itself is not as good. Yes, the HTT is faster, but overall, the Intel processor eats the AMD. So please, just take the advice that we have given. Or, at least, accept defeat, and just go and buy your inferior processor, and let the whole thing be done with.

As for the video cards, it is better to go with the newer 48xx series cards. A system like this is great for the money. Simply add another 4870, and get an X48 board (not a requirement, but a good idea) if you want more power:
    [​IMG]

17. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

He is an Intel noob and has no concept of what quad pumping is and the process of overclocking an Intel rig is.

18. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

Don't know why it double posted...

19. Mod_Man_1

Ok, here is an interesting Idea. WGY and lamboman you two have spent alot of time finding some great info for me and I am seeing what you are saying, thanks you.

Quick point, I am not looking for a system that can compete as highest benchmark beast, but a system that will handle all of the games, and video editing that my son and I like to do with no problem and still be ready for the next generation of parts (hence part of the reason I was looking at AMD, their next generation CPU is reportedly still going to fit the AM2+ socket).

Ok, back to my idea, build me a system that can play some of our favorite games and hopefully the next installment of these games too, and run Pinnicles AVID video authoring software. The games we enjoy are all of the Battlefield games, Call of Duty 4, and the up coming Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. I have one catch, I really like the case I picked so keep that and all of the part must be available through TigerDirect (I picked TD because they have a store local to me and I want a store to make returns if needed).

If you are willing, show me an AMD system and an Intel system, oh and please keep the price under $1200.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

BTW this is not just open to WGY and lamboman, I would love to see what anyone thinks would make a great game rig for my son and I.

MOD Man

Last edited: 30 Jul 2008
  20. chrisb2e9

:blah::grr:

You asked for input about which cpu to choose. ignored that advice, and now want us to pick out a system for you?

Would you like anything else while we are at it? perhaps we could come over and wash your car?

:sigh: