1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disgruntled IT Admin Locks up San Francisco's Network

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 15 Jul 2008.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Original story

Got root? :eyebrow:

2. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

do you reckon when they told him that the passwords he gave them didnt work he said "ha! fail". as funny as this is, its pretty serious. it wont end well for him, thats for sure

3. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

It can get scary working in IT at just how much info you actually have access to and what damage you could do if you were so inclined...

At a previous job i was on the IT helpdesk for a significantly large UK bank, for a insultingly low wage (couldn't say anything at the time, first IT job) with a FULL Domain Administrator account*, ie: access to all of the data available to the company...

It's quite worrying really, if i was inclined to i could have done untold amounts of damage, got copies of full credit card databases etc and all with it being fairly untraceable if you were careful...

I'm just very glad i've only met very decent people in IT that have access to such data. There does seem to be a big skill in IT managers choosing trustworthy people for such positions as a whole :)

*Irony time: i'm currently working for my local council, they have significantly better IT security than this large bank did!

4. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

That is actually quite scary...

Though don't worry - most IT techies spend all their time on here anyway :p

As for the article, I suppose the dude needs some therapy... a change of job, a holiday, a new car. Take a chill pill...

5. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Quite entertaining I have to say. I assume they don't have any kind of psychological screening process. Ah well, to late now, I just hope for his sake he gives over the password soon or it really won't be good for him.

6. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Sorry, but i couldn't help my self but laugh, but's he planning on doing? Holding the city to ransom from inside a cell block? "Err, yea, i want millions of dollars, and a visa to Mexico?"
    Hahaha

Sam

7. Cthippo

Just an update. According to this article they're still locked out of some parts of the system, and he's still in jail refusing to cough up the passwords.

From the article...

8. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

What I've been hearing (BOL) is that he didn't feel that the people he was supposed to turn the network over to were 'competent' to keep it running. In his defense, the network has been running flawlessly.

9. Cthippo

Update, he gave up the passwords to the mayor in a secret meeting

Sounds like maybe a little paranoia going on there, perhaps? :eyebrow:

10. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

or maybe its all true and he dealt with it the wrong way..... guess we probably wont hear about it now though

11. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

S'kinda pathetic that they didn't have some backup root/admin access...

And I kinda understand where the guy is coming from.. I'm highly protective of my code and databases at work

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i think he had great concern about the networks security and locked it down to make him self heard, people at the top can be rather deaf at times, especailly when big sums of money are required to update current hardware and software.

either that or that was the only way he could get hoilday!

13. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Is he still going to be charged with improperly tampering with computer systems and causing a denial of service????

14. Regidet

Regidet Awesomenesstrocity

this is crap again. they probably do know why he did it and are just using some lame excuse to make him look bad. i doubt he would put third party monitoring software on it. hes probably smarter than that. i wonder why hes actually doing it.