1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Islam subway ads cause stir in New York

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 23 Jul 2008.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Original story

This is more Bush administration type thinking at work. Once again, a government official is trying to limit the constitutional rights of a citizen for ephemeral reasons that amount to "he's a bad person because I say so".

2. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

It's one person making a fuss so far. I'm not going to pay much attention unless the transit authority actually refuses to let the ads be run. If there's allegations that the person behind the ads is associated with terrorist organizations (ideologically or otherwise), I think it's fair to discuss the matter. But that's assuming that said person (a) really is associated with/in favor of unsavory organizations and (b) really is 'the' person behind the ads and stands to gain from them, rather than being one person in a much larger organization. Can't tell from the article, there's way too much spin doctoring on both sides.

3. Regidet

Regidet Awesomenesstrocity

that freaking crap. how could you refuse their ads just for that. what if there was some dude putting up ads for Christianity or jesus? we wouldnt be hearing about that would we. its just some islamic missionary. leave him alone he aint bothering you. go call homeland security next time a jehovas whitness or morman comes to your doorstep. what a pile of crap.

4. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Utterly insulting reaction by some key members. We get **** like this all the time in Toronto; no one is raising complaints here. What's ****ing the deal? Maybe it's touching on the ever-sensitive 9/11 stigma, but that's simply an indication that many people in New York are still incapable of disconnecting extremism from Islam.

5. Cthippo

There, fixed. Actually, I would venture a guess that New Yorkers are probably a bit ahead of the curve on acceptance given the diversity of people they deal with every day.

6. zeroinfinity

zeroinfinity hmmm.

You would be correct in this assumption.

I for one don't see a problem with it. I'll be seeing them in the trains.

But I do have to comment on the true purpose of Islam, and it's intent. The main goal of Islam is for the whole world to be converted into Islam and to serve Allah. This may be the goal of almost any religion, but I don't see any other religion actively pursuing that goal with such speed as Islam. I work with someone who is muslim and I had to tell him to leave me alone, because every time he would see me on my laptop, he'd practically butt me over to tell me to watch a video (look up "the creation of the universe" on youtube).

I don't live in the UK, but I hear from friends that the UK is becoming more and more Muslim orientated-- and that laws are being passed in favor of Islam. *shrugs* :yawn:

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Christianity ads wouldnt be allowed to be put up as it 'offends' some people and they complain, yet it's allowed for these to be put up.

I dont care if they put them up even though I am a Christian but the world seems to be becoming very anti-Christian and not allowing Christian stuff as some people find it offensive yet it's ok for Muslim ads and stuff to be all over.

Seems like a double standard to me.

Whatever. Where I live it ain't too bad. Small town of 10 000 people. Probably 90+% are Christian. Good thing for us Christians, yet a bad thing as the higher the population of Christians in an area the stronger the force of anti-Christian will be. Good yet bad. :) It's interesting.....

8. nickhelton

nickhelton What's a Dremel?

Americans are so intolerant. It makes me sick.

9. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

That is not only disgustingly intolerant, and horribly insulting to the Muslim community of New York, but also, a sign that people in power in America hate muslims. Its wrong to say all Americans are intolerant, but thats the impression you would get from this bigotted and public act of open anti-islamism.

Wahhaj is an upstanding and excellent spokesman for the muslim community of New York. Believe me, he's as much of a terrorist as the Archbishop of Canterbury. But because he's a 'fricking moslem turban jihad motherf*cker' hes automatically a terrorist.

And then we have the New York Post...

Disgusting.

10. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Quite disgusting behaviour.

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I personally would have a problem with it, just as I would have a problem if it was ads for Christianity. Let people think what they want, religion isn't something that should be advertised.

12. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

And we ask 'why do young Muslim men resort to terrorism'....

I prefer ads which promote religion to ads which feature men in thongs (as found every 4 metres in London). The nature of these ads were such that they could ease tensions and prevent such disgusting acts of open anti-islamism...

13. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i agree, however if we must have religion advertised it may aswell be done fairly and not just pro-christianity all the time.

14. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

i think its amusing, they need to know a little more about this world.

99.99% of Muslim people are peace loving good people, its the small minority who grew up in a mountain somewhere and can't read who mis-interpret the message of peace.

15. Cthippo

That's not necessarily the case. Most "terrorists" are well educated young people, ususally from middle-class or fairly affluent famalies who believe they are doing the right thing. Spreading mis-conceptions does nothing to understand the problem.

16. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

They aren't so much advertising the religion as advertising the Website, which isn't like a recruiting tool.. but more of a website where people can go to get a better understanding of the religion. Perfectly fair.. especially given all the ignorance and hatred towards Islam going around at the minute.

17. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I believe the lot of us here are seeing the pervasiveness of the ads as a correction of thought on Islam, rather than a recruitment-driven promotion in any measure; and therein lies the foundation of the Americans' divided reception.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2008
  18. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Good. Keep them down, as well as any advert for Christianity and any other religion.

19. zeroinfinity

zeroinfinity hmmm.

@ talladega: I've seen Christianity ads before in the subway.

20. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I agree... The less religion in the world the better IMHO