1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking at Advanced P&S

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by ll.13, 6 Aug 2008.

1. ll.13

ll.13 What was a Dremel?

I'm wanting to upgrade from my current camera, a pretty basic, point&shoot, with very little/no manual control, to something more advanced, I wouldn't mind going DSLR, apart from the price, which has led me to advanced P&S/superzoom cameras.
    Right now I'm looking at the Fujifilm S9600 I mainly want something that has good manual functions (the Fuji has a manual lens, which I really like) and is under £200, 6+MegaPixels, & a viewfinder (secondhand is preferable. :) )

How good is the S9600 (I see TrustedReviews is very favourable), and are there other recommended cameras to consider?

-thanks in advance.

2. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

If your looking at other super zooms i recommend you check out the S5 IS and the G9 both by canon. I used to have an S3 and it was an awesome camera. I also have heard nothing but good news surrounding the G9 as well.

3. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

You could pick up a used Canon 300D and kit lens for that budget...

4. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

Yup. And you are not stuck with the Lens, as you are with "bridge" camera's. Decide what lens you need, save up, and hey presto, a whole new outlook on your Photography. Repeat.

If you must have a P&S However, then I second the S or G series reccomendation from Canon's line-up. Great camera's.

5. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

You can carry on buying better and better compact cameras for ever looking for something that takes great pictures. Save your money and buy a DSLR with a kit lens, will outperform and when you can afford it, just add a quality lens or 2

You can buy a new Nikon D40 or Sony A200 for about £270 from Amazon (and maybe cheaper elsewhere) - OK, more than you want to spend but will still be taking great pictures in 5 years time. The Sony A200 with a 10 megapixel sensor is probably better value
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0011U9U9A/pricerunner-21/ref=nosim

6. ll.13

ll.13 What was a Dremel?

Yeah, I think I'll go with that. :)
    -thanks.

7. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

I think the Sony A200 is a very good camera, but if you decide to go with the Nikon, they currently have a cashback offer on some of their cameras - its £40 on the D40. Maybe trying to clear the shelves in preparation for the September launches of new models.
    http://www.nikon.co.uk/sites/cashback/summer2008_buy.html