1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Google Chrome browser released today

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rum&Coke, 2 Sep 2008.

1. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

slightly odd issue: my scroll wheel seems to be scrolling twice as fast in chrome as it does in any other app. this happening to anyone else?

2. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

I like the aesthetics better than Firefox and IE, that alone would make it my browser of choice if it weren't for some annoyances like the F11 keyboard shortcut not working, no drag and scroll, and being a major memory hog.

Last edited: 3 Sep 2008
  3. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I'm really, really impressed. It feels much faster than Firefox; although I didn't time it, I think the actual page loads take the same amount of time but the information is presented to the user in a manner which feels faster (elements are displayed as soon as possible, and the top of the page seems to have priority). All the behind-the-scenes stuff is really compelling, and the speed boost to Google's own online apps (Gmail, etc) is just incredible.

I'll switch from Firefox when I can have these things, or their direct equivalents:
    -Forecastfox
    -Mouse gestures
    -Adblock with automated filter list
    -Smooth scrolling
    -A visual theme which fits nicely with a Windows Classic type of user interface. The current theme is a bit too Play-Skool for me.

Seriously, Google - way to go.

4. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I like it, it's neat & fast, but there's just one it doesn't have, which they'll probably include before long. And i want to get rid of the blue, i'd like silver.

One thing i love about opera, is how it will instantly save the current web page as a single file. It doesn't have to download it all again.

Chrome doesn't have to download it all again, but it doesn't save it as a single file :grr: yet anyway, i'm sure they'll get around to it and then it will be my new Cheesecake :naughty:

5. mr-sb

mr-sb What's a Dremel?

I like the speed boost, but theres no home button. I keep closing chrome when I close the last tab... kind of a habit from FF :(

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Downloading and installing now...
    any ideas on further web bugs? Specifically display/functionality bugs? Anyone try www.jquery.com?
    W3C Standards enforcing stats on the browser would be interesting...

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

KK.
    so far it all looks good. It's quick, that's for sure... not sure i like the look and feel, and it seems as if most of the jQuery i normally use would work just fine on it... that's good news... :)

not the prettiest browser, though - has to be said...

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

:read:

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

any ideas how it integrates into Aero glass? can;t check that tonight... that blue title bar could work if it "aeros" properly...

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

happening here :( no smooth scrolling and now mid-mouse drag scrolling. it's like going back to 2 button mouse days.

and for every word i type, it thinks it's spelt wrong.

i'd love to have a Firefox Chrome tab option just like IE Tabs. but to use it as a main browser, it needs the FF plug-in customisation options and most importantly: Tab Mix Plus level of customisation.

oh, don't forget a bookmark manager.

is anyone else having the problem of clicking on the Down arrow in topic overview, and takes to the bottem of the page? not the first unread?

edit: LOL
    incognito mode:

Last edited: 3 Sep 2008
  11. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Nothing happens. It shuts down thats it. On restart no saved flicks or session or anything. I stay with FF3

12. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Interesting observations:
    - When going to options -> under the hood and then checking the proxy settings, that's IE's network connections panel...
    - Google Analytics doesn't work in google Chrome... LOL

13. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Looks good, but a couple of bugs here and there as you would expect. Can't complain about extra competition in the browser market though. However, I'm waiting for the popular extensions for Firefox to be ported over before thinking of switching.

14. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

No built in RSS reader, that's a bit ****. I don't think I could live without Safari's RSS functionality.

15. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I really hope this will not be a "forever" beta like other google products...

16. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

I'm reading this in chrome and it does seem a nice browser. I'm yet to install it on my linux system though.

I'm suprised how many of the chrome features seem very similar to features already in opera 9.5 - maybe a legal case against google here?

I'm now waiting for the google operating system since they already have gmail, google docs, chrome etc

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Funny you should mention that... i just got a mail from a mate of mine (also discussing Chrome) stating:
    "Wonder if they gonna adobt their "Beta Forever" attitude as well with this one."

Guess it's one of those things on everyone's minds...
    Oh, and the google OS is 99% sure gonna be web-based.. hence all the web tools, hence the optimised JavaScript engine (V8 or whatever it's called), etc...

18. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

As said, a lot of the features are very similar to Opera features. The start page, the undockable tabs, etc.

One thing I LOVE is the capturing of search boxes. Go to any site, and use their search box. Then, start a new tab, type a few letters of that website, and press tab. The search box should have been captured so you can search that site directly from the omnibox now.

Edit: Jamie, I think the idea is that you use Google Reader for RSS. Its prety fast compared to it in other browsers.

19. Mo_

Mo_ Did this world come by chance?

simple and "faster" than firefox. Start up is superduppa fast!

20. Mo_

Mo_ Did this world come by chance?

same here to. :)

Tags: