1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: FALSE | Done

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DETN8R, 30 Jan 2004.

1. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Specific huh?

ok well lets break out the calipers and hope I give you the right dimensions
    The thing that sticks out of the bottom of the heater core is 5.565in wide x 1.311in deep x .441 tall

The fittings stick out from the heater core 2.190in

To The inner Part of the fitting is .119in

To The outer part of the fitting is .734in

Anything else? (and yes I am serious)

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

That's probably it :) What I'm really trying to do is see how well it will fit at the top of a Lian Li v2000 case and if it will it my Audigy2. It looks like that bottom part should fit in the back of a drive bay. I suppose one other would be form the top of that thing that sticks out (top if it's standing up with fitting at the highest point) to the farthest point on the fittings. I think I have just over ten inches but I'm not positive... and I have a workaround if all else fails :D

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it :thumb:

3. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

this thing is eleven inches from bottom of the thing that sticks out to the top of the barbs.

4. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

Do you know yet if the mobo works with the atx power wired like that?

5. Firehed

D'oh! Guess I'll have to hang it under my sound card. Oh well, more shroud should be good for it anyways.

Assuming he wired it right, it shouldn't be a problem to have the wiring like that.

6. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

nope

7. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

8. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

so what does everyone think of the design so far??

9. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

If you pull this off without shorting out or blowing up, this will be a trendsetter!

I had once given thought to doing an ATX power mod like this, but my soldering skills were sorely lacking (still are, but I'm getting better!).

I sincerely hope this all works out for you!

I've read about the "TRON'ish" effect that you migt get on the inside, but unless I missed something, are you going to do something to the frame in regards to color/paint/finishing?

:thumb:

Keep it up! I have seen some great wire stealths in this forum, I look forward to your techniques!

10. Firehed

I agree. It's a big pain to do something like that but well worth it if you can pull it off (imo). Although personally I'd probably do something more along the lines of desoldering the stock sockets on the board and attach them to the 20 wires, then soldering those wires back onto the socket (being careful not to cross anything over). That way you remove the hell of upgrading/changing a PSU and I suppose there's a small chance that you could replace the socket if you need to rma the board. Personally I have used many different PSUs but only one board for my P4 (although running a review site has something to do with those PSUs) so I wouldn't wanna have to do something like that every time just to not ruin the effect of the mod.

Not sure whether it's been asked/answered already, but are you planning to do a similar thing for ALL onboard wiring (USB ports, etc)? Or just not use those ports?

11. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Not sure yet. sorry for the late reply

12. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

in regards to the last question. Yes. am doing the same to the Firewire,USB, and and On/Off/Rst plugs.

Oh, and BTW, everything does work, tested it out about a week ago. Booted up fine. and all the voltages were looking good.

13. kaotic504

kaotic504 What's a Dremel?

you have some great soldering skills. i've thought about doing that for the ATX power, but i don't have the skills or i'm just too chicken sh*t to try it :D . i don't want to risk messing up my hardware, you've got balls of steel man. but great work.

14. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

looking really good DETN8R,

im a big fan of keeping the wires underneath the motherboards (the rest is the link in my sig). Dont worry about front port connectors being smaller, its no hassle, just take your time and remember where the wires go!

ill be watching this one :thumb:

RoB

15. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

16. KJSatz

KJSatz What's a Dremel?

I see wires! JK of course...well not really, but you know what I mean. I like it---it's a good idea. I hope nothing gets broken!

Edit: Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize this was from december! I fell so stupid...I'm now trying to delete this post.

17. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Anyway, note how the LEDS are on and note the ATX Power connector behind the first hose on the reservoir.

18. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

I dont think anyone has ever paid much attention to this case but I decided it was time for an update.
    I havnt abandoned this project. I've just been busy with a full time job and school.

Anyway heres another teaser pic.

[​IMG]

19. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Hey, thats not true! I actually am often hoping for updates to this, usually I don't post unless it is very important, and I instead just use the subscribe link. I thought you should know thought that this project is being watched, and I can't wait to see the final product.

Nick

20. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Hmm..Well its been a good 3 or so years since I last posted in this thread. Figured I would just a post a pic of what became of this project. It took 1st place in the Everlan Casemod competition here in colorado. I'd love to know what you guys think:

[​IMG]