1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement motherboard of the same type, does it require a new windows install?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Mother-Goose, 3 Sep 2008.

1. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

This kinda accomanies my 'Im RMA'ing my striker" thread, but it is a seperate question:

As I'm probably getting another Striker in replacement, will this need a fresh Windows Vista install as it is essentially the same piece of hardware as that which was removed.

I ask because I know changing the mobo is the one piece of hardware that usually leads to a new installed, but I'm not sure if that applies when it's the same mobo.

I'm running Vista 64-bit SP1

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

If it's the same model/BIOS revision, you should be okay.
    Might be worth imaging your HDD Just in case though.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'd ghost/image/backup the drive, just incase.

I have, in the past, successfuly swapped motherboards without reinstalls. Infact, the only reinstall I've HAD to do recently was going from the Maximus Formula to the MA790FX, before that (Even an ABIT to the Maximus Formula) I've got away with just cleaning out the drivers for the old board and installing the new drivers.

I'd assume that if all goes well that you should get away with no reinstalls.

4. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

I would make a backup first, however I managed to go from a Gigabyte board to an Asus board, with a different chipset, windows xp loaded fine, but half the onboard hardware was missing like usb/lan/sound, I installed the chipset drivers for the Asus board, and XP worked fine from there on in.

So it is possible, and worth a try. If windows boots, then game on, if not then your need to reinstall of cause, but at least you had made the backup before swapping the boards.

5. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

ah, making a backup of the drive might be a problem, got nothing to connect it to without the new mobo lo

I've backed up all the files of course, just not an image of the drive, it could probably do with a clean install anyway but I'll give it a go.

The bios version shouldn't have to big a influence though should it? I updated that regularly on the previous one. As for the drivers, seeing as it's the same hardware, I'd assume it's not an issue?

6. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I'd say for the hassles sake to just hook it up and see what it does. If its all wonkers reinstall the OS, if not your in the clear.

:)

7. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

when my board died a month ago I RMA'd it and installed the replacement without a second though, running fine so far but yeah as everyones said, you can't go wrong if you back up anyway.

8. DE.223

DE.223 What's a Dremel?

I have recently replaced my old motherboard (Asus P5N-D) with a new one of a completely different chipset (Maximus Formula II) after an overzealous overclocking attempt fried the P5N-D. I had no issues at all with Vista despite different chipsets/drivers between the two, so you should have no problems with the exact same type of board.

If you have lots of sensitive data (maybe something mission critical to your job) on the machine I would take a backup just in case, otherwise just turn the beasty on.