1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When life isn't working out, play the race card

Discussion in 'Serious' started by overdosedelusion, 12 Sep 2008.

1. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Not saying that racial abuse doesn't happen, but yes as a 6"2 white bloke i have had this kind incident happen to me a couple of times. Its not just minorities who get attacked for no apparent reason.

In my limited experience, the only bloke i've ever worked with who claimed to be being discriminated against because he didn't get a promotion was a complete ass hat and better people were promoted before him but he still seen it as racism not the fact that he was incompetent. I say limited because my employer at the time had a nearly 40-60 minority (mainly asians) and of my mates, certainly, of all the asians who went for the team leader jobs got them because they were the best people for the job or didn't spud the interview (ala me).

2. DE.223

DE.223 What's a Dremel?

Racism is alive and well in the UK and discrimination in the workplace is a huge problem. Studies have even shown that discrimination can begin the moment your CV lands on someone's desk. People with more ethnic sounding names are less likely to be hired than those with more traditional white names. This real issue is that nobody wants to admit it, and like some many inconvenient truths in Britian it is swept under the carpet and left to fester.

Even in the most metropolitan of UK cities like London, ask most middle class white people what they think of the Chinese and you will get a response somewhere between very guarded apprehension to rapid xenophobia.

The man accusing Blair may very well have suffered abuse . . . or he may be playing the race card. I want to see what the outcome of the courts is before I go labelling him a pathetic for using his race as an excuse to sue the Met.

3. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

The first link you posted seems to suggest the only issue is she is complaining that less experienced white employees got promoted ahead of her? So what? Just because they have less experience doesn't mean they should be denied a job if they are capable of doing it - maybe it hasn't occured to this woman that she wasn't good enough to make the grade. People get hard done by in the work place all the time and have to live with it, she should go and get different job elsewhere if she thinks the working world is that fair, and realise it's pretty much the same everywhere.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Taken in isolation, you could perhaps argue that. But:
    And then there is my second link.

MR BOND, THEY have a saying in Chicago: "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, the third time it’s enemy action." --Auric Goldfinger

Last edited: 13 Sep 2008
  5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not that I've got a point to make in this thread but, yes, actually, on multiple occasions by both Blacks and Asians because I was walking with both Black and Asian mates (separate incidents). :/

But also, my Moslem friends have had all sorts of **** thrown at them in the few months after 9/11 :(

6. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

With regard to the original article: we really don't have enough info to speculate either way. that is what the courts are for.

Though i must say after reading this thread, that racism DOES work both ways, for some reason many people seem to think it applies only when against a minority :duh:

Note the complete lack of references to majorities or minorities

I've seen both racism towards minorities and also minorities playing the race card to get their own way. Both things are just as bad as each other IMHO

7. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

but your applying a 2008 mindset to an organisation that most certainly was needed in the old days and may well still be needed. like some others i've been surprised & disapointed at the "daily mail" style replies on this thread.

8. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

love the goldfinger quote..made me roffle

I agree the second link kind of speaks for itself, I suppose as someone else mentioned, in the first article there isn't massive substantial evidence either way - upto the courts it shall be.

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

And sometimes it all gets silly. But when it's white-on-white it's classed as bigotry, not racism (or simple fanboy zealotry).

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

me too, i can't stand it