1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 12 Sep 2008.

1. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

Yes it's in the north(ish) east of Ukraine against the border of Belarus.

And the more observate of you may have noticed that the PDA map is upside down in both Stalker: SoC and Clear Sky, except for the NPP. :hehe:

2. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

well i tried it with patch 2 and have had 3 BSODs trying to do the first mission in the swamp. Running vista ultimate with a 7600gt (temporary while my gtx is in for RMA), i thought it might be my system but after reading this thread i'm pretty sure its not.

What i would recommend is leave the score at 3, which is what it deserves for now and do a mythbuster-esque revisit towards christmas, if things improved score it higher but leave the original review for reference if not drop the score and go to town on the publishers.

3. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

All I can say is; thank **** this wasn't a review of a firearm or a car. these kind of issues with those kinds of hardware would result in lost limbs if you're lucky.
    I stopped reading the comments after the second page as there are people insisting that the game should be given a higher score because the reviewers should just ignore the catastrophic failures of the game, because it didn't happen as bad to them. If the game was an actual tangible physical product, you wouldn't be able to ignore its short comings in the least.

Hulk Smash?

4. Jonelo

Jonelo What's a Dremel?

GSC . "Grigorovich Sergei Company " , is one of the most rich person in the PC world . They had produced Cossacks with 175.000 dolars they had 5 millons of copys sold and 100 millons dolars of revenue . Maybe is the most rich person in the PC games because is he is unique owner of the Company and the developement in Ukranie is very cheap .

5. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

I bought the first game when it first came out, however have only recently played it properly as i now have a system capable of doing it justice and several patches later, it is just about playable. I loved the atmosphere created in the first game, such a change from 'Generic American shooter III', however it still had a few faults. I'll wait again for a few months until the new game is patched to a playable state and the price drops on Steam...

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

7. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Ouch.

It hurts my wallet even though I technically have the money to spend on the occasional game (I budget, but money always seems to get pissed away on beer and cocktails :(). So can't imagine what it's like when it's a quarter of your salary!

But on the flipside they do invest $millions in each and every game and if only 1 in 10 games breaks even for whatever reason... you better hope that that one game covers the losses from all the others that didn't make money.

Otherwise there's simply no point doing it. It does come down to cutting corners though...

8. Haramzadeh

Haramzadeh Son of Sin

Ooohh. Ouch. 3/10? Damn that's gotta hoit. Never was really interested in this game so, meh.

9. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

great review bit. i just love how you guys talk about the things which actually matter, like the types of bugs, unlike other sites. i also thing the score is completely fair. no game should be released in such a state. i guess im gonna wait a couple of months for this baby to get patched

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

OK I fixed that image.

I put in about another five hours this evening with an ATI card (HD 4870 X2) and the latest patch to see if it really makes a difference and I have to say stuff has been fixed that changes the game completely to what it was! Just the little things that I've come to remember now I've played the first 8 hours through five times. However, it's now 11:20 and again I've just started getting consistent CTDs again :(

11. roshan

roshan What's a Dremel?

Bugs only makes it a 3 score review ,I cant understand.they will release patches for that.

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

13. Berk

Berk Where's the Hammer?

Yeah, but you can't review a product like a game based on how good it'll be in 8 months.

Personally I'd've liked to see a small delay for the most recent patch due to the fact it addressed some of the issues mentioned and is probably the most relevant patch, as it's pre-NA release, and about the time people seem to be picking the game up properly.

I don't think the review is wrong as such, I agree with what was said, only I'm (so far) getting the 8/10 experience, not a 3/10. Not a single crash since starting over on 1.5.0.4, and only a few framerate drops in the swamp.

But, if more than a small percentage of users are getting massive issues, the 3/10 is probably a safe bet.

I'd like to see a Clear sky: revisited in a few months though, It'd be interesting to see what bit-tech make of it after some patches and driver updates.

14. Vode

Vode What's a Dremel?

I'm running 1.5.03, so there's another patch since this? Are saves compatible with the new patch?

I'm in the Red Forest and have been playing for a while now, and have some very nicely done up equipment, wouldn't want to lose all my good work, but the crashes are just reaching an unmanageable point, can't even get in half an hour of play-time without a crash. :/

EDIT: Clearly states below patch link on official site that saves aren't compatible... Damn... To patch or not to patch.

I really don't want to lose my fully modded TRS-301 (Sniper spec, with silencer and scope) and SEVA suit... If the game was stable quest progress shouldn't be too hard to recover, but that loot is special to me.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2008
  15. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

16. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

NA is not even out yet, Review is bogus, sorry, don't care what anyone says. All other reviews are averaging 8 and never had near as many issues as bit-tech, and the last patch fixes the issues they complain about. This review will give someone in NA who wanted the game the wrong impression and they will miss out on one of the best games of 08.

17. Berk

Berk Where's the Hammer?

That's what I just said you *ing idiot!

The current state of the game is what NA users will get when it drops officially (and it's available in a lot of stores over there)

BT's review is spot on for what they tested, and the experiences they had.

Now, shut the hell up, you're making stalker fans look like raving lunatics, really, you should be ashamed of how stupid you're being.

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'm sorry, but if you haven't noticed, we're actually a UK-based publication with a UK-based office and UK-based writers... why should we wait to 'buy' the game in North America when it's already been on sale in the UK for 8 days now? Also, did you not read Richard's post saying that he's STILL getting crashes to desktop with the latest patch (i.e. the one released Thursday) on a system with an ATI graphics card in it?

Jeez, some people just cannot read or choose not to because their fanboyism is so blind that it's actually infected their eyelids and their eyes can no longer open.

19. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

I'm with the bit-tech staff on this, everyone that has tried the game has had at least a single CTD or BSOD, this is unacceptable, especially for a game that has already had two patches. How may times did COD4 crash or BSOD my machine - 0, what about UT3 - 0, the witcher - 0, turok - 0, grid - 0, hm... starting to see a trend? I can understand a few CTD but BSODS! that is completely unacceptable.

If you know anything about developing on a windows system managing to BSOD the machine is no small feat (especially a vista machine), those guys are doing something extremely risky to pull that off, i can only assume they are overwriting system memory with certain function calls to cause the BSOD.

I cant remember the last time i had a game BSOD my machine. And its not my machine thats the problem, if you look at any forum with a clear sky thread there are gonna be a few people with BSOD or CTDs, so its not an isolated problem. GSC is getting a terrible reputation with both of their newest releases, i dont understand why they didnt make sure they tested their games properly before release.

I think this is a case of : In soviet russia(ukraine) games test you!

20. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Tags: Add Tags