1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I do and who do I talk to? (ISP Problem)

Discussion in 'General' started by bahgger, 16 Sep 2008.

1. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Hey all,

I've got a real problem with my internet in my flat. Here's the thing:

The previous tenant has a debt with Tiscali of around 8 pounds and thus they are unwilling to provide a MAC Code for me until it is settled.

Unfortunately, the previous tenant has moved abroad and can't be contacted.

According to Tiscali, I'm meant to snail mail them proof of the BT Line now being under my name, which I have done so (TWICE!). They have said TWICE that they never received it!

What should I do?

I'm thinking of sending them one last snail mail via registered mail and if that does not work, I really am stuck. Is there some association that moves this kind of thing along?
    I've already registered with O2 for internet over 4 months ago but have to provide them with the MAC Code before I can even imagine of surfing bit-tech from the comfort of my home :(

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Three options:

1. Send it via registered mail.

2. Pay the eight quid.

3. Follow OFCOM's advice and try contacting a special department within BT Wholesale who may be able to help you. BT Wholesale is not usually a customer facing division within BT; however, OFCOM has agreed a process with them so that customers like yourself can speak directly with them. You may experience some waiting time in getting through to them.

BT Wholesale
    Tel: 0800 169 0934

Monday – Friday 8am – 6pm
    Saturday – 8am – 12pm

4. Contact OFCOM. Once they get on the case it's remarkble how cooperative these Internet and telephone service providers become.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2008
  3. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

4. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Thanks Nexxo, I had heard of something like OFCOM before but I forgot its name. So should I contact OFCOM before talking to BT Wholesale, since you said to 'follow OFCOM's advice' in point 3?

5. Nexxo

Go with point 3 (after taking a couple of deep, cleansing, soothing breaths), and if you get no joy, move to 4.

6. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Because you are in Europe (I assume) I cant really give advice beyone what nexxo has given.
    What I will say is that if one company tried to hold me accountable, or deny me service, because of what someone else did... Lets just say it wouldn't go over very well.

7. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

pay the 8 pounds and have it over with
    you prob dropp more than 8 quid in a month

8. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Yeah I'm in London, England. I agree with you and in fact although I have much disdain for the company, I'm equally pissed off at the ex-tenant. Let there be blood!

9. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Oh, and though I wouldn't mind paying the debt, the way Tiscali works is that only the account holder can pay the debt, I believe. Odd isn't it.

10. Major

Major Guest

You know, even if it was 80p, still don't pay it, it's not your problem.

I remember Gordon Ramsay saying how someone didn't pay the bill which was a few thousand, but he took the guy to court and spent a lot more than what was owed on lawyers, it's not about the money involved, it's about what is right.

11. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I could not of said that better myself.

12. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Nexxo and/or anyone else who knows their stuff,

I can't seem to dial the 0800 BT Wholesale number and I'm wondering if it's been changed. All I currently get is a busy tone.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

13. Nexxo

They are quite a busy bunch. Moreover they are not really geared to talking to the customer directly (then again, which part of BT is?...). So you may have to persist. Else go directly to OFCOM.

Meanwhile (as a two-pronged approach to the problem) send Tiscali the proof they require, but by registered, signed delivery. Ask first for a named person to address it to, rather than a department. Make sure it is a manager, not a minion who is gone next week. Make sure you know who signed for the letter and when, in case they lose it yet again. Then escalate the matter to Tiscali's complaints department.

14. markjw

markjw What's a Dremel?

Tiscali CANNOT refuse to provide a MAC code due to an outstanding debt as this is against Ofcom General Condition 22 which they are legally obliged to follow and they are well aware of this. If they refuse to provide the MAC code due to you not being their customer then inform them that this is a Tag-on-the-Line issue and as you are the end-user of your phone number to remove their service (this will mean O2 can place a fresh order, however no broadband while this happens)

If Tiscali are still not doing anything then (a) request a 'deadlock' letter which will allow you to raise a complaint with a third-party that will arbitrate (again Tiscali are legally obliged to do this) or (b) ask Tiscali for Ofcom's details to raise a formal compliant with them. Note option (a) costs Tiscali money not you!

Mark