1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding a HDD from a portable music player?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mac1986, 27 Sep 2008.

1. mac1986

mac1986 mac1986

I'm looking for info for a project that i'm planning.
    I found a broken Creative vision:m Zen 30gb music player.
    I have two questions: 1) How do i test to see if the HDD is still working fine?
    2) How (if at all possible) can i adapt the hd drive from the player to function as a removable usb disk?

Any input that can be provided would be truely appreciated.

2. murtoz

murtoz Busy procrastinating

You forget to give us details on the HDD - size (physical), connectors, etc - a picture would be good.
    I believe you can buy housings for portable HDD without the HDD - this may be what you are after. But without details on the hdd it is hard to say if there is one that would work for you.

3. mac1986

mac1986 mac1986

Toshiba MK3006GAL Hdd1442
    length=8cm
    width=5.5cm
    thickness=0.4cm
    (i can't seem to upload a photo to the forum otherwise i would heave included one)

4. mac1986

mac1986 mac1986

The connector resembles a mini IDE connector but i am certain that it isn't a IDE . Once again i 'm sorry for the absence of a photo

5. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Its probably IDE 2.5 also known as laptop drives.
    If its smaller then its CF drive connection.

6. mac1986

mac1986 mac1986

I did a little reseach and i think the connector on the HDD is a CFI is the a removable case that i can purchase?

7. Reseil

Reseil What's a Dremel?

If it's what I think it is, it's a 1.8" mini hard drive. I have one in my MusicXDrive Pro. Have to install the thing internally on that XDrive, so don't want to pull it apart for a picture, but they do make enclosures for them.

http://insidecomputer.stores.yahoo.net/1usb20alhadr.html

BTW, long time lurker, first time poster. You folks have a fine site here.

*EDIT* Ok, I was bored, so here's what it looks like, and yes, that's exactly what it is. That link to the case is about the only way I can think of making it a standalone drive. Pretty cool little drives actually.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Sep 2008
  8. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

With enough patience you can wire up an ide adapter, they're pin compatable, just not in the same order. If it really is the drive shown above.

9. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

You can very cheaply buy a drive enclosure for these drives. They are the same drives as found in older iPods. Just look up 1.8 inch hard drive enclosure on ebay or wherever you want to buy from, you should be able to find lots.

There are two types: the IDE type and the ZIF connector type. Make sure you are buying the IDE style.

10. Reseil

Reseil What's a Dremel?

Just did some snooping about.. Here is the 250 GB SATA Version. From a modding point of view, these little buggers could have some potential in projects pressed for space. 1 TB Raid 5 that could fit in a pack of smokes anyone?

[​IMG]

11. mac1986

mac1986 mac1986

thanks for all the info guys it helped. It is the toshiba 1.8" disk drive and i found a compatible enclosure on ebay that works perfectly.
    Cheers for the info

12. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Yep but a very expensive pack of siggys :naughty::naughty:
    Mind you, it would safe alot of space in a small flat. :thumb:

And sorry I had forgotten it was a microdrive in cf format. Been along time since I read that they were. Atleast they stop using those stupid hitachi drives.