1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd Outlook / BT Yahoo issue

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by GreatOldOne, 29 Sep 2008.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Hi Chaps,

I was trying to set-up my mother's email access for her, as it seemed to have got screwed up. She has BT provided DSL, and as such has BT Yahoo email addresses.

She has a primary address which is her old, married name - which she no longer uses - and a secondary account in her new name. The service was ordered and set-up in the old name, so we're stuck with that as the primary.

How it used to work is that Outlook was set-up to download her mail from her secondary address. This stopped working for some reason (don't ask me why, I'm just tech support... :))

I tried to set-up the account again in Outlook, as per the instructions provided by the BT support webpages:

POP3 & SMTP servers = mail.btinternet.com
    userid = xxxxxxx@btinternet.com
    password = correct password
    not using SPA

with those details, I could click on the test account button, and everything worked. It even sent the test mail. However, when you click on send/ receive mail, all it would do is continually ask for the password again - and when you clicked on cancel to get out of it, the error message box would display that the server was rejecting the password.

We can log into the BT yahoo web mail pages and she can see all her mail in there, so the userid and password combination is fine. Whilst in there, we can see all the test messages generated by outlook.

If I change the account settings in outlook to her primary account, everything works fine, but obviously it's not getting the mail she wants. We just can't get the bloody thing to send and receive properly from the secondary account!

Any ideas?

2. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

So it is an issue with bt.
    I get exactly the same with the various linux clients but only on the sending side.
    Upto now I have found no solution.

3. mk-donald

mk-donald bits and bobs

Haven't double checked but my notes about an old BT email account say REQUIRES SPA AUTHENTICATION to send via mail.btinternet.com whereas you specifically say you're not using that, so best to check that.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Try testing it out on Thunderbird - if it's a problem with BT it'll happen again there too. :)

5. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I tried both ways, and both fail. For the record, the latest help pages at BT say not to use SPA.

Krikkit: I'll try Thunderbird next time I'm down visiting my Mum. She's happy at the moment with being able to get to her 'real' email via the webmail page.

6. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

It start to work then a week later it stops. It as if bt suddenly realise your not using there pay service and allowing only to recieve.

OK this may help
    Under sending email
    In evolution sending type was set to plain text.
    I changed it to login and it seams to be working.

7. mk-donald

mk-donald bits and bobs

Ah interesting re the "not" paying comment.

My btinternet (Yahoo) a/c came from an old BT ADSL subscription - at £39.99/m for 256kbps (from memory) - yes those WERE the days (now I pay o2 £7.50/m for 3.5Mbps) - and the email a/c survived the cessation of subscription on move to PAYG dialup a/c.

BT/Yahoo used to send an email every now and then warning that unless I used the PAYG it would be lost, and I do still make a quarterly call to keep the a/c's alive - though almost got to 3m over the summer and didn't get a reminder that time so as as you suggest whether any use of their PAYG dialup number impacts a/c or not I don't know.