1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What it's like to debate Sarah Palin

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 2 Oct 2008.

1. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

The debate was aired at 0300 last night, so I was unable to watch it even though I sort of wanted to. Do you have a link to the transcript?
    Even I, being Norwegian, are scared of that woman and the potential implications shouild she ever (and in spite of all reason) get into the white house. American policies have global ramifications, and as such even us somewhat laid-back europeans have to (in my opinion) take more than a fleeting interest in american politics - at least as long as one is somewhat interested in politics in the first place. So she scares me, and what she stands for is possibly even scarier. However I guess there is some consolation in the fact that she will not be able to bring a theocracy to my country, though it seems clear that is what she desires for the US. I am obviously referring to her desire to bring creationist "teaching" into the schools to, potentially, replace teaching evolution.

Yes, she both scare and repulse me. On the other hand she gets points for being mildly attractive, but that is not an indication of a person's political skills and capital.

2. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

That'll make my "must watch list" for sure. (Though most pr0n is already on that list, so this point might be somewhat pointless). :lol:

3. Pha3dr0n

Pha3dr0n Where's my Valium?

4. Haramzadeh

Haramzadeh Son of Sin

You betcha. Say it ain't so Joe. Gosh Darn it. There you go again. Joe Six Pack. Team of Mavericks.

I mean seriously... are Americans *that* stupid?!?!?

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

We'll find out in about a month, won't we?

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The bits I picked up on the news before leaving for work were the same: she does a lot of "Gosh, I'm just a normal working mum from an average family so we can really relate to the average American's hardship" but does not state how she plans to change things. She talks about "bringing something new and young and fresh to the White House" but doesn't say what they intend to do.

Biden, interestingly, showed some visible irritation at her "I can relate because we're an ordinary American family too" and seemed to emotionally struggle for a second when he talked about family losses. If it was play-acting, it was darn good play acting. But I liked his message: We can all empathise on a personal level; we've all had tragedies. But that has nothing to do with being a capable leader. Unfortunately, I think it will go over the average voter's head.

I think that voters do sentimenality (far) better than they do cricital thinking. And we'll be really truly so ****ing ****ed beyond all ****ery.

7. Haramzadeh

Haramzadeh Son of Sin

I've seen more authentically 'folksier' people in my electromagnetics theory classes. She is through and through fake and any actual "folksy" person can see right through the act, mechancial smile and tired cliches.

Joe Biden on other hand, ironically, showed authentic feelings and oddly enough was able to in effect point out sexism towards himself. I mean who says a single father doesn't have to put up with hardships too?

8. Prestidigitweeze

Prestidigitweeze "Oblivion ha-ha" to you, too.

The transcript of that interview is truly frightening. I hope the transcriber was in error quoting Palin as saying "Main Street" caused problems suffered by "Wall Street" (and, by the way, that tabloid-obvious phrase needs swift retiring). Even McCain and Bush would say the reverse is true.

I nearly swallowed my own forehead when Palin "corrected" Biden's definition of patriotism, explaining to him that "real patriotism" consists of telling the government to butt out. By that definition, Al Capone was far more patriotic than Abraham Lincoln (or the PATRIOT Act, of course).

She also called herself middle-class several times despite being worth 1.2 million. Does she even know what middle-class means?

Forgetting my pure hatred of Palin's positions on the economy, Iraq, accurate science in classrooms, offshore drilling and brutal over-development, her speaking style sets off creepy music even reduced to mere words on the page.

I'm talking about her written voice as opposed to her ridiculous speaking voice: Even when it doesn't issue from her in that characteristic munchkin singsong, her syntax is a frightening juxtaposition of Mister Rogers, Dr. Strangelove and the protagonist from Fargo. It reads like the concoction of a vicious satirist; imagine hearing that voice dictate world policy.

Speaking of which: I'd love to see a sketch in which Palin played the Francis McDormand role in Fargo. Someone needs to photoshop McDormand's floppy hat on Palin's head. One possible caption: "Were there dinosaurs in the middle ages? Yah, yew betcha! They called 'em dragons!"

Last edited: 3 Oct 2008
  9. RTT

RTT #parp

Palin scares the absolute crap out of me. However, I think I would. Milf potential!

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You're perverted. :p

No surprises there, then...

11. Prestidigitweeze

Prestidigitweeze "Oblivion ha-ha" to you, too.

Unless you like your women venal, classist and stupid, wouldn't you prefer Tina Fey? This is truly the age of the imbecilic millionaire.

BTW -- I love this quote:

"Imagination has been as carefully bred out of the rich as manners were supposed to have been bred in." -- Truman Capote

12. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Corrected. Remember, her daughter is pregnant - by choice, of course :worried:.

-monkey

13. Haramzadeh

Haramzadeh Son of Sin

I find Sarah Palin thoroughly unattractive. Her face is angular and her smile looks forced. Her facial expressions are very artificial and she constantly looks like she's robotically spouting out talking points. This is odd when you'd expect these qualities to be attributed to Biden, that evil washington 'insider'... but he appeared rather natural and often even quite convincing (choking up) in his emotions.

14. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

15. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Yes.

Also, am I the only one having a hard time following Palin's sentences in that transcript? They don't seem to follow proper English sentence structure.. everything's kinda all over the place.. o.o

Time to book tickets back home to France for me..

16. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

I lolled at the flow chart. Also I'm in an American Gov class and almost 70% of the class thinks Palin did better than Biden did at the debate.

17. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

That flow chart is pretty funny, and unfortunately mostly accurate. The snl parody on Saturday was a pretty good watch too.

18. Rum&Coke

Rum&Coke What's a Dremel?

Looks like the Republicans are panicking and have taken their "terrorist" gloves off

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10...bama/index.html

19. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

20. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Appended to my to-buy list. Thanks for the info.