Need Help with new ISP

Discussion in 'General' started by Ryu_ookami, 3 Oct 2008.

1. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

I've just recieved a letter from my current ISP provider (Pipex) who apparently are changing the way that they bill customers.

I used to have an unlimited Download Limit they are now scrapping this and replacing it with a 100GB usage a month policy,

anything over that and I'll be charged £3.00 for 3 Gbs. Seeing as how there customer service and technical support is non-existent.

I've decided that I'm going to change to a new provider. I was wondering how everyone found the best provider price and speed wise in their area and if anyone had any recommendations for providers.

I'm willing to try most companies except Virgin Media and of course Pipex. I currently have a BT phone and am willing to change phone providers if necessary.

so ideas, recommendations please.

2. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

Be/O2 - same company (O2 own Be) but slightly different package.
    If you have an O2 mobile you'll get an extra £5 pm off an O2 bb package.

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Hang on, you use more than 100GB a MONTH!?

Serious cheesecake downloading, there!

The thing with O2 is their top package is 16Mb. For some reason, Be offers 24Mb. Why O2 doesn't go up to 24Mb, I'm unsure.

4. z3rb

z3rb +4 str +4 stam

Using more than 100Gb a month is not uncommon at all.

5. kenco_uk

I'm (un)lucky if use over 20GB a month.

6. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

We get 45GB per WEEK for £90 per YEAR. Uni connections Cheesecake :D

7. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

I use Entanet and pay by there partner ukfsn
    Nice speeds for me, its an on peak and off peak download package, 30gb from Monday to Thursday and 300gb from Friday to Sunday. If you want speed though and virgin is in your area go for them...:cooldude:

8. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

Last year I got 10Mb unlimited (and I mean properly unlimited) internet for nothing, thats uni connections Cheesecake

Back to the OP, O2/Be are a good choice, as people have already mentioned.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Same here, we couldn't Bit-Torrent, but that didn't matter with such a ridiculous connection. :D

10. Ryu_ookami

Ok, quick update I've contacted O2 and got through within 3 minutes :) and I've gone through the sign up process and despite my mobile being an 02 pay as you go they are still going to gave me the 5.00 pound discount every month. :)

So I then contacted Pipex a second time and managed to get through to a csa after an hour of waiting at which point the csa at the end of the line tried to tell me that "no, the initial letter was wrong, the other csa was wrong and that I was wrong for wanting to change that they were the cheapest etc etc".

I finally managed to get him to generate the MAC code which he really was not happy doing and its being sent out as he refused to give me the code over the phone and he also couldn't tell me if it would be sent in an email or through the post. All he could tell me that it would take up to 5 working days to get it.

In the meantime 02 have sorted the rest of it out and are just waiting on the code so that I can continue my unlimited usage :)

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

my UNI connection will be missed, unsure on it speed but it cost £25 a year, and i downloaded alot of tv shows that are all on DVD now. Must have been hitting 20/30Gb a week

12. kenco_uk

Plusnet were brilliant when I moved from them to Sky. All you had to do was raise a ticket on their web portal asking for the mac key and iirc they emailed it pretty swiftly.

13. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I'll be looking to move from Pipex too, the speeds are rediculous (I was getting better speeds on my 2mb Freeserve/Orange connection). Any idea if I would need to switch my phone Line too as I'm with Pipex for that as well (and there's not much wrong with that side of the service)?

14. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I must be the only one where my uni connection is worse than my home one. Only goes up to about 2MB (against my 20) and no torrenting. :(

15. Ryu_ookami

I'm not sure as my phone line is with BT but I guarantee when you ring them up it will take forever to get an answer and even then your treated as though whatever is wrong is all your fault as pipex could never be in the wrong. Also I don't trust the new contact that they are bring in as NONE of their advisers seem to know what speed its going to be or what its going to cost etc. So I switched - am switching - to O2 as at least their technical department is open 24/7.

But Pipex are chaning to something called home core I believe its called and the advisor earlier was mentioning that the phone and internet would all be 1 package so I would check if I were you that your phone provider is being migrated across as well BTW Migareted is the term that their advisor used not me)

16. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

I seriously envy the limits you guys have over there on your connections, over here in australia you pay out your *** for a decent limit and speed for the most part, yet alone if you wanted an unlimited one! I pay $80 AUD for an adsl2+ connection (current sync about 5500 down 950 up about 3km from the exchange) 25gb peak 40gb off peak (peak is 12pm-2am) but at least upload's are not counted on mine, its common here that they are!

On my old connection i had a 30mbit down cable connection with only 128kbit up and 25gb limit and uploads were counted, and that cost the same as im paying now

17. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Shame you are having a problem with pipex. Im an old bulldog customer so got moved over to pipex, havent heard anything about bandwidth caps and am still managing 6.3mb out of the promised 8mb (but thats cause im far from the exchange!).

Of course as always with these things it very much depends on where you live as to what kind of service you get - for instance I have never had an issue with the pipex/bulldog phone helpdesks.

100GB a month though, thats just over 3gig a day, are you just constantly stockpiling everything on tv ever?

18. fev

fev Industry Fallout

heads up on o2 not doing 20mbit... the idea with the broadband packing is to under promise and over deliver. You'll usually find on the 16mbit package you'll get 17-18mbit. Hear people in the shop talking about it all the time.

go.. buy now...from me!

19. Ryu_ookami

Yeah I used to be with Bulldog and liked them then got moved to pipex during the change over the no limit and change is meant to be finalised for all customers by the 30th november.

If your still using the connection after that date the letter says that it means that you will have accepted the new terms of the contract.

Thing is its only after ringing them to ask what happens after you go over the limit that they admitted you would be charged for it in 3gb chucks.