1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is the misbehaving component(s)?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by lujucto, 9 Oct 2008.

1. lujucto

lujucto What's a Dremel?

Ok, so I've had my new computer around a month now, and i've not really had all that much time to get it set up properly due to other commitments and such. Everything is installed and running fine most of the time, but there would seem to be some malfunction somewhere along the lines which I cannot decide which part to narrow it down to. I'm leaning towards the graphics card or PSU.

So here's a brief explanation of the problems I've had...

It is seemingly sporadic, in that it only does it some of the time and with some programs rather than others.

When I run certain games, I can play for a while then suddenly my screen will either go blank or will freeze up and turn into a chequerboard effect accross both screens. But I've managed to get through the whole of Crysis Warhead with no problems, and I've been playing both Pure and Flatout Ultimate Carnage seemingly without hitch. Loaded up Spore the other night and it straight away went wrong. I also had Google Earth running lastnight and it all went blank.

Initially I thought it could be due to having my memory running at the wrong voltage (something I noticed looking in the BIOS), it was at the default 1.8V rather than the 2.2V it is rated for. I've been watching the temperatures etc for anything random happening but it all looks seemingly fine.

Just been playing FIFA, and poof... off it goes again, but this time i've noticed something I hadnt noticed before... once it crashes, the screen the game was on went all grey and with lines down it, no picture of the game. the other screen just went black and the game sound froze on the sound it was on. but I also had some music playing at the same time and that carried on fine. However I couldn't use my keyboard play/stop buttons to control.

Any help much appreciated!

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Try memtest, if it passes then most likely your graphics has gone. Maybe faulty memory on the card.

3. lujucto

lujucto What's a Dremel?

Yes, i've been told to try memtest, going to run it tomorrow when I go to work. Hopefully it's one of those two problems... much simpler to replace. I've also just tried updating the motherboard BIOS which didn't solve the problem.

Oh, and one more thing, I forgot to mention in the first post... my spec is as follows (incase this helps)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 (not overclocked)
    4GB Geil Black Dragon DDR2 1066MHz
    Asus P5Q Pro
    512MB Sapphire 4870
    300GB Western Digital Velociraptor
    500GB Western Digital
    650W CoolerMaster Extreme Power
    Antec P182
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music

4. lujucto

lujucto What's a Dremel?

ran memtest last night, and after around almost 4 hours it was still running through test 3 and nothing seemed to be happening. The error table had 1 error. Going to stick my RAM from my old computer in tonight and see how that goes