1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blizzard: Our next MMO won't be WoW2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Oct 2008.

1. naokaji

naokaji whatever

With the profits of wow they can easily develop more than mmorpg at the same time and next mmorpg might just refer to next one scheduled for release and does not necesseraly mean wow2 isnt in development allready.

A Starcraft MMO would rock though.

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

The Windows and C64 port of the game was one of the first projects Blizzard ever worked on, actually :p

3. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

/petition to remove bishop nerf?

4. leviathan18

leviathan18 What's a Dremel?

i have my cd of battlechess somewhere very nice game the queen witch is funny

5. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Think I remember the port of the second battlechess game. They were called Synapse & Sillicon at the time or somthing like that.

6. s3v3n

s3v3n MMO Cold Turkey -fail

KoP (Kitchen of Piecraft):
    Pie making at it's furiest. Can your kitchen's pies beat the others?
    Featuring the Warring Chef: Pie Series instance.

7. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

OMG Battle chess rules!!!!

8. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

She had an outstanding 'wobble' :p

9. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Stalker MMO for the cheesecake!

10. willyolio

willyolio What's a Dremel?

i want a diablo prequel. sin war!

11. Sathy

Sathy What's a Dremel?

Honestly, why are people being so dense about this? It's good to see a few that are able to reason. But why is it still so obscure to so many? It has been said several times on several different interviews, including the latest Blizzcon that they are developing a NEW MMO based on NEW IP. Not Star, War or Diablocraft of any sort. It makes no sense at all to even consider those if you think about it in terms of what they are developing now and how they are a company that aims to make profit.

News that isn't news is always interesting as the reasons for making it news are worth pondering.

12. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

It will be probably something totally different to current mmporgs. They have a way of coming up with unique ways of doing things and I highly doubt they would want anything to draw people away from its cash cow that is WoW.
    A starcraft mmporg would draw people away and I doubt they would risk that until they feel WoW is not producing the results anymore.

Last time i did the maths, WoW must have generated a billion pounds easily by now.

9 million players worldwide = 9'000'000 x £8 (monthly fee roughly) = £72'000'000 per month...£72 million pounds income per month! oh man...
    Then theres sales from the game itself and merchandising...Of course R & D soaked up allot near the beginning because the game was in developement for about 3+ years but that must have been made back a long time ago...

Man, thats some scary income....

13. dylAndroid

dylAndroid is human?

I remember when Tribes was first described to me. What I expected was a cross between RedAlert for strategic orders, and a MMO FPS for each soldier's actions.

In practice, Tribes handled the FPS side fairly well -- if I remember correctly, there were games with over one hundred people in them. It fell short on the coordination and organization of efforts - the RTS command side. Ironically, integrating a better RTS system would have been technically easier than much of the rest of the work they did for the game.

I'm completely stunned that I still haven't heard of a game that really does this well. While yes, it is like developing multiple games in one, if done well, it would easily become a major hit.

14. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Quite a few of the subscribers they include are in china and other places where they pay a massively reduced fee (since the original fee could be a week's salary in some of them)

It's a cash cow no doubt but a lot of people like to over-estimate how much so.

Tags: Add Tags