1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks What do you think of the Alien m9750 gaming laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LightingBird, 19 Oct 2008.

1. LightingBird

LightingBird Minimodder

Its the Alien Area-51 m9750.

I'm considering buying this one for myself this time. Its going to be right at 1802 with the Dual 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8700M GT - SLI Enabled that can use the direct x 10. This also includes shipping. So I'm looking for a gaming laptop. After all the research I've found this one seems really good. Currently, I use a acer aspire 7520-5311 for portable gaming. I bought a couple of them last year for christmas. Don't get me wrong its a great laptop but not the best. Just some games now are really running slow to play. Games like Warhammer and some others. Here are the specs for this laptop:

Processors, Chipset & Memory Intel® Core™2 Duo Processors (4MB Cache, 667MHz FSB)
    Intel 945PM + ICH7M-DH Chipset
    Up to 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
    2 dedicated SO-DIMM slots for Dual Channel DDR2 Memory

Audio 7.1 Digital High-Definition Audio
    Two Speakers with SubWoofer
    Connectivity
    1 headphone jack
    1 microphone jack
    1 Front Speakers jack
    1 Surround Speakers jack
    1 Center Speaker jack
    1 TOSlink Optical Audio

Graphics & Video NVIDIA GeForce Series
    Dual Graphics Cards
    Dual 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT GDDR3 - DirectX 10 enabled with NVIDIA® SLI™ technology

Peripheral Connections 4 Hi-speed USB 2.0 ports
    Express Card Slot /54mm
    IEEE 1394a (4-pin) port
    4-in-1 Memory Card Reader
    (SD / MS / MSPRO / MMC)

LCD Panel 17” Wide Screen WUXGA 1920 x 1200 with Clearview

160gb Harddrive

Case & Chassis Height: 1.5”
    Width: 15.65”
    Depth: 11.75”
    Weight: 8.5 lbs
    1 Kensington Lock slot

http://www.alienware.com/products/a...SysCode=PC-LT-AREA51M9750&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

Just looking for some solid opinons. Please looking for people that actually might have some technical knowledge. Last time I posted something like this, I got so many replies and private posts that said laptops can't run any games that just blew me away. Ha my laptop before my acer could run most games at max resolution. My acer even better. I'm just having problems with the newer games and looking for top notch this time. Not looking for a desktop, so please no replies like that. I'm ususally up and about in my home or out. This works best for me.

So is this a ok, good, great or bad choice for a gaming laptop? Any other suggestions?

2. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

I'd pass on it. It's excessivly priced, the build quality and customer service are generally looked at as crap, and I would suggest the gateway 17" gaming laptop that everyone seems to love.

3. LightingBird

LightingBird Minimodder

Really? A gateway... hmm ok I'll look into that.

4. LightingBird

LightingBird Minimodder

I'm sorry I can't find it. What gateway laptop are you talking about?

5. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

IMHO there isn't such thing as a gaming laptop, only high end ones. your best bet is to make one of those briefcase PCs (provided that wherever you end up you can be plugged in)
    It's cheaper, and the spares (for if something goes wrong) are a hell of a lot less expensive if you do the briefcasae PC as well (and I'm sure you can fit a 19" monitor in a decent sized briefcase, so it's better quality display as well)

6. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

The one you're looking for is the Gateway p 6831FX. it's quite cheap, well under that alienware, and it has an 8800 series card.

7. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

If you want a lan case, grab a ATX case, mod a lcd into the side panel, and you have portability with a lot more power, though it will be a bit on the heavy side. I know this isn't the best answer, and it won't be the cheapest either, but It would be fairly rewarding, and you can tell everyone you made it when they are looking and going "OMG THAT IS AWESOME, I WANT ONE!"

8. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

+1
    or have a look into RockDirect, the Clevo chasis is brill or even go Falcon Northwest but definately not Alienware.

9. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

My coworker just got this Alienware laptop, and he brought it in on friday to show. He got it used off someone who needed to sell, so he got a fantastic deal. I like it a lot, but it's a desktop kind of laptop, if you get my meaning. It's huge.

That said, I don't know anything about Alienware's rep and customer service. He's only had it for a couple of days, but is very happy with it. (but is looking to trade up, so he might be interested in making a deal.)

10. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

+1

11. Akava

Akava Lurking...

EDIT: *snip* the previous post is gone :D

I gotta say I have really never understood the point in 'gaming' laptops, portability? Just buy a decent Shuttle.

But yea... I would pass, the price is a little steep.

12. DarkEditioN

DarkEditioN What's a Dremel?

The price is way too high for that configuration but that is because alienware branding. :D I would suggest to avoid it... But if you have Xtra cash to spend then go for it and Enjoy! :D