1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding 2 dollar eeePC case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jhanlon303, 27 Oct 2008.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

This is going to be a quick look at a mod I did early in the AM. while everyone else was sleeping.
    L was out with my lady/wife Marilyn Saturday to the Goodwill thrift store - it was 1/2 price day.

I found these 2 things and tossed them into the trunk of he car.
    A small aluminum case that was in great shape except for some immature painter's efforts to make it red
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a roll of hardcell foam that was originally intended to be a pad under a sleeping bag.
    [​IMG]

I measured the inside of the case at 8 1/2" X 11 3/8" and started cutting some pieces off the foam
    [​IMG]

By total luck the bottom of the case held exactly 3 layers of 5/8" foam.
    [​IMG]

I grabbed my eeePC and marked around it to cut the foam. Used the blue tape so that I didn't get the marker on the eeePC.
    2nd layer
    [​IMG]
    3rd layer
    [​IMG]

I did the same with the top of the little case - cut the two layers of foam and then marked and cut out for the power supply and cord.

[​IMG]

I still need to add something in the center of the top, tiny mouse, thumbdrive, or maybe card reader. We'll see. I still need to do something about the red paint too.

So I spent $1.99 for the case and $1.99 for the foam pad $4.00 for the whole thing BUT it was 1/2 price day $2 total for my eeePC hardshell case.

2. spoon.uk

spoon.uk Frag Me Bitch!

Heheh looks like a bomb :)

Very creative project matey :thumb:

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Very James Bond.
    -'cept for the fingernail polish paintjob.:D

4. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Nice one, but, as has been said, the paint is awful!

5. jhanlon303

So for one dollar you expect one of mnpctech's air brush masterpieces? Somebody put some real love into that paint!
    [​IMG] :D

Last edited: 27 Oct 2008
  6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It's painted like it was rented.:hehe:

7. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Great find, and great idea! I love a nicely organized carrying case.
    If the eeePC has an external vga port, you might want to consider adding a cutout for a spare cable to carry around so you can plug into other monitors/projectors as needed?
    Sync it with any mobile devices/cameras? Add the connector cables to the cutout.

8. jhanlon303

Thanx for looking. I still need to find the right adhesive to glue the layers together. I've been playing with Gorilla glue outside. It seems to foam up and ooze out. Maybe I need more weight on the test chunks.

9. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

glue

I don't know how I feel about gorilla glue and it's foaminess as it dries. I don't know what glue you could use but there's gotta be some good way to bond the layers together smoothly. Whats that camping pad made out of? Have you tried just normal spray adhesive like for roof liners or stronger?

Just for kicks I looked up coleman and sleep pads. They possibly may be made of Closed-cell, polyethylene foam.. I found another link where they used 3m NF30 contact adhesive. It's used in veneering, It should be strong and thin. :)

You could fit minispeakers cutouts in that case... Boombox! What do you really need to take with you & the eeepc? What about pad and paper? rulers/squares for sketches? Or you could just go extravagent steampunk on it, and pull off a presentation case like Filimon does on his mods. Plush Velvet and shiny! :D Only problem is you'd have to dress up that eeepc to fit it in.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2008
  10. jhanlon303

Thanks for the links and the questions.

The pad and pencils are the moleskins I always carry in my cargo pockets. I get the small ones from Barnes and Nobel. Never without one.
    Steampunk the case is a good thought since I belong to a steampunk forum too.
    Presentation case: How about the wooden chests that expensive silverware comes in. They are always around at the thrift stores and charity stores. The red background I have been using in my pictures lately is a piece of velvet material from my quilting stash.

What do I do with my eeePC?
    I don't know yet. I bought it on a whim since they are really cheap. It's a 900 (8.9" screen) the same size as Langer's eeePC mods but bigger screen and an Atom processor. Langer pointed me to an eeePC forum that has a ton of mods for the 701s like his. I'll probably have to open the hood and look around for grins. I have an Electronics Engineering degree so the insides don't scare me.

He who dies with the most toys WINS!