1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Call of Duty: World at War

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 15 Nov 2008.

1. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

I agree Tim that this shouldn't derive into some sort of slanging match but lets not forget where this bad feeling originated.

If I went on a German forum and started banging on about how much smarter us "anglo-saxonians" are, then I'd expect some sort of reaction.

The fact is that many people will find "karx11erks"s post offensive (particularly around this time and when discussing the subject matter in point). Sweeping generalisations made purely on peoples ethnicity/country of origin are always going to provoke a negative reaction and I for one think "SPQQKY" handled his response well and in a mature (adult?) manner; employing sarcasm and irony as a means of making "karx11erks" see things from another perspective. Let's not forget that "SPQQKY" also finished off with "don't be a hater", which for me suggests he simply would prefer any negativity on the subject to be left out of the forums; As I'm sure would the majority of the community here @ bit-tech.

I think if anyone should be getting the "waggly finger" treatment it should be"karx11erks" to be honest.

Back on topic.. Looks like exactly what I expected to be honest: Treyarch trying to make a COD game as well as Inifinity Ward and failing on all fronts.

Roll on COD6 I guess :thumb:.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2008
  2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Can't we play as the Germans/Japanese then?

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

WhiskeyAlpha, I don't disagree - maybe I should be clearer by highlighting both posts. Reacting is just as bad as posting something that's going to cause a stir in my opinion; that's why we have a report post button. :)

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

[ontopic]
    Meh. I hoped it would be better as I loved CoD4, yes I DID! I found it having a nice plot, being fast-paced and in general fun to play. I played through it just to do so again on a harder difficulty right after I finished, that is highly unusual for me. I normally wait at least 2-3 months before I re-play a game.
    Shame this one seems to be just-another-generic-WWII-shooter. Might get it just for MP though.
    [/ontopic]

[offtopic]
    I'm ashamed by what karx11erks said. I'm German as well and I have to say people who say/think (although... DO they really think?) things like that are part of why I'm quite happy to have left Germany.

5. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Well Im a couple of hours into the single player campaign and am loving the game.

yes its been done before, but Im not sure that its been done better?? Im actually preferring this one to COD4 so far.

And the graphics are top notch on my PC. I know someone above said they sucked, but if so... upgrade your graphics card.

Now for the bad news... Multiplayer isnt working, and hasnt been working for 1000's of people all afternoon because the master servers are down. Lots of people complaining on their official forums (one thread is over 40 pages long with people venting LOL!)... its annoying but I can wait till the single player exhausts me.

6. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

for me what made cod4 (well, makes i guess as i am still playing it) so good is the multiplayer balance. Its rare to find a game with such a variety of supported playstyles and weapons that feels like everyone is on the same level playing field. To my mind, theres always room for games that dont exactly blow your socks off with originality but instead focus on getting everything right.
    This review pretty much says what i expected about w@w tho, same old and not even done especially well - and theres not room for games like that (not in my collection anyway :p).

7. d3fiant

d3fiant What's a Dremel?

well the master authentication server has been down for a good few hours so there is currently no COD5 multiplay to be had for any PC users, not sure if the same for consoles :(

8. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

That's fair enough Tim :thumb:.

Like I say, the best thing would for it not to be present in the forums at all.

But like you quite rightly pointed out, that's what the report post is for (funny thing is I'd forgotten about it altogether as I've never felt the need to use it before :))

9. Skepsis

Skepsis What's a Dremel?

I personally prefer COD 5 to COD 4, I like both the games just I have always been a "rifle" guy in the COD series. The only problem online I am having is the fact that all the guns are pretty much over powered. Thompson's, MP 40's and the gewe along with others all being shot from long range with no recoil can 1 hit yet the rifles have no chance. Then there's the maps, just don't feel big enough to be wasting time with rifles. Where as the older WW COD games did.

10. OleJ

OleJ Me!

I wholeheartedly agree with your critique of this. I found it very exploiting that they used actual footage. I'm not the kind of guy to get upset by video games or gory content but I do believe the footage used often crossed the line of respect for the fallen.

Also the demonisation of the different armies coupled with the use of genuine footage is just uncalled for.

I think it's very important for everyone to know that many who fought in WWII (on either side) came out with a respect for the sacrifice made by both their own nation as well as for those that had only minutes ago been their enemies.
    As with WWI it was a case of soldiers having witnessed atrocities and hardship that went beyond nationality.
    The uniting of the world that emerged from the aftermath was based on the respect for humanity gained through the hardship.

The game tries to round it all off nicely with McArthurs speech about freedom and justice etc. but even despite the sudden turn of opinion/expression the first 99% of the games cut-scenes are quite "simple minded" and exploiting of history in a violent non-constructive way.

Hadn't it been for the cut-scenes with real footage of war atrocities exploited for entertainment this game would have been 10/10 on my list. I couldn't help feeling a lack of respect for the people being done away with in the WWII footage used.
    The story-line is rather "good" although admittedly simple as it is sticking to historic events like glue and gameplay gives a very good war zone feeling. I much prefer it over COD4.

11. Gunblade

Gunblade The Frugal Chef

Bit-tech's opening words are very appropriate and I applaud it, (especially acknowledging previous games) but I feel many have taken the wrong understanding from it on this forum and elsewhere.

I find the path of questioning and guffaw at the usage of actual footage or any other aspect of the game by fellow gamers in reaction to this review, plain odd. I don't mean to point out hypocrisy or that anyone is out of line for doing so. I am pretty sure we knew what was coming to our PC or Console....this title came very close to that "line" everyone has been discussing in my perspective, and we should point out that it was unnecessary, but the veracity of peoples efforts to continue to argue why they believe it is uncalled for gets out of hand quickly. We need to think through here just as much as bit-tech. I have heard some pretty stupid statements and now have read some posted here. (not gonna get specific and quote anyone)

There was no editor at Treryarch before, our gaming/entertainment history has made this kind of stuff "ok" and here we are with Call Of Duty V. It's level of exploitation and demonification (ok that is not a word, sorry!) is more apparent than most games in the past, but I don't believe it was way over any line. It is just easier to talk about and point out than say COD IV's unintentional racism. I am not sure if it is wrong when looking at the landscape of modern games. But specifically I am with bit-tech that this game had needless depictions against the Japanese.

12. The_EXorcist

The_EXorcist Possibly Australian

I think Treyarch had to put something racy into this game, just to get noticed, after all, they are responsible for the horrid CoD3. Which is why i wasnt expecting much from this game.

13. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

i personally loved cod, cod2, and cod4... thought they were well made and polished, good level design atmosphere, plot points, mission objectives etc...

this on the other hand so far is pretty ****, pointless mission with no real briefing just a cod4esque intro sequence that serves no purpose apart from being a flashly loading screen. The maps are terribly designed in that where cod4 often had a side alley or two passage to get to a point this game forces you to stick to its predefined path in a open level, cod4 managed to achieved this without you even noticing that they were guiding you where as here if you even try move off in the wrong direction you get hit with invisible walls and such. Noth to mention how many times i've gotten stuck in the scenery because it was so badly placed.

all this feels like is a reskin of cod4, no wonder the MP will be good its cod4 with different weapons.

Also the game runs a lot slower than cod4 without looking all that much better, i'm averaging around 50fps on 1680x1050 everything on high, no AA, wile i was getting around 100fps in cod4 on the same settings. Also have you guys run into the bugs where some enemies would shine gold every once in a while.

This game is pretty bad, treyarch should be removed from the COD series, let infinity ward do what they do best...

14. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

Last night I've been playing the whole game and here's my opinion.
    CoD:WaW is not a bad game (and I've found some stupid bugs). But it isn't the game that it must have been, CoD4:MW left the bar very high. It's aimed to a new public instead of the CoD series fans (like me, oh yeah). It has free violence that attracts those people. Considering the whole game I've only found "new" the cooperative campaing, the rest it's a remix of previous CoD games (including CoD4) and some films. What I personaly hate most it's the sound track, found it out of place. My global score: 6

I'll play CoD4 for a long time I guess. Waiting for a CoD6 more alike.

15. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I haven't played the game but find it utterly disrespectful. The previous game that tried to gain publicity off the back of Remembrance Day was Cannon Fodder, with Amiga Power having to reprint with a different cover rather than the planned picture of a poppy. Sensible Software also had to take a loading screen out that tied the game in with the British Legion, iirc.

I've enjoyed playing through the single player campaigns of the COD games, although COD4 had none of the drama of previous efforts - it was all very standard fare.

I'll be giving this one a miss.

16. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

The last World War 2 game that I played was "Medal Of Honor" back in, err, 2001 I think? You guys gotta remember that WWII games are only done to death, IF you play every single one of them. ;)

I plan on buying COD:W@W once it's available on Steam for a decent price, hopefully $40? :)

"The second reason we’re not going to focus on the plot is that it’s much more interesting to think and critique the level of maturity the plot is handled with, mainly because there are several points where World at War seems to go out of its way to be controversial."

So what are Bit-tech anyway, the Controversial Police? You guys are sounding like a concerned father who's trying to ruin Christmas.

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

my housemate and i having a great time with this one. we got to level 20 of zombie mode with only 3 of us instead of 4.

so anyone know what's the maximum level for zombie mode?

18. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

TBH, if a dev wanted to go and do something interesting and provocative, they'd stick the point of view with the japanese or the germans.

before you decry this, remember that members of the german military were not allowed to join a political party (only the SS and other political enforcement branches) and that the wehrmacht soldiers were fighting to simply keep their country on the map, as they knew that several opposing forces wanted to do away with germany altogether. the wehrmacht soldiers also hated the SS officers and soldiers with a passion, and it would be interesting to see things from a different point of view.

(there have been numerous reports gathered in the years since of wehrmacht officers executing their assigned SS liason)

19. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

I've got COD4 on my PS3 after a mate suggested it, i don't normally go for that sort of game. But i've been loving the multiplayer. To be fair i've not touched the single player since i bought it, but i love the multiplayer. However unless this new version brings something new to that aspect other than knocking it back into the dark ages, then i don't see what there is to get me to buy it. After all, Modern Day > WWII and that's the only difference when playing online?

20. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Re "Looking for a future war CoD":-

I did see a rumor that Infinity Ward are apparently working on a Sci Fi based game at the moment, whether or not its a CoD title is unknown but I did hear that Treyarch and IW are alternating the CoD titles between them. Maybe we will see a futuristic CoD as the next release from IW.