1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP registry repair

Discussion in 'Software' started by HairyEyeball, 17 Nov 2008.

1. HairyEyeball

HairyEyeball What's a Dremel?

Hey folks :)

I was given a pc from work (they upgraded some of there machines), its runnin XP Pro SP3 but its had loads added in the registry and also loads disabled :duh::eeek:

I cant be doing using it the way it is but wanted to keep it as there is lots of stuff on there I need for work etc...

Is there any chance I can use a different XP disk to do a repair install to fix the registry and put it back how it should be???

Cant get a back up of the registry or the original disk from work as the I.T bloke that did it left a couple of months ago and has now moved to france but I think I can get the corporate XP SP3 from the new IT guy if I ask him nicely :eek:

Thanks,
    Trevor

2. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

Can you do a system restore? See how far back you can go.

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly, but why not use a program like ccleaner?

4. HairyEyeball

Thanks for the responses.

Tried system restore before and no matter how far I go back its still the same.

I tried using RegCure and Registry Fix and all they seem to do is remove broken and unused stuff really, they dont actually restore the O/S to how its supposed to be.

A couple of the issues I have are these :

Folder views wont stay as I set them
    No icons to the left of Browse/Save as windows (My Docs, My Comp, My Net Places etc...)
    No option for Classic/Category View in control panel

There seem to be hundreds of little things that are usefull usually that just dont seem to be there........

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Doesn't sound like you need to touch the registry to me.

The things you mention are set by group policy. You will need to remove the machine from the domain so it no longer gets any GP settings...

Or you might be able to change them if you have local admin by using the GP editor.Tho I've not looked in so long so not 100% sure if you can. From the run prompt type (without the quotes) "gpedit.msc" and have a look about in there.

6. HairyEyeball

I had a look around gpedit and looks like nothing has been configured in anything think I clicked on just about everything and they nearly all say "not configured"
    might just do the repair install and see where that gets me lol if its nowhere then i'll just have to start from scratch!!!!

7. HairyEyeball

Tried the repair install but didnt give me the option to do it grrr