1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Apple store education discount

Discussion in 'General' started by seebul, 20 Nov 2008.

1. seebul

seebul Minimodder

Just wondering if anybody knows if you can get the same education discount in the apple stores as you can on there website? On the HE store I can get a MacBook pro for 1189 will I be able to get that price instore?

Thanks

2. RTT

RTT #parp

Yes you can, just take in your NUS card and some ID (passport, driving license)

3. caff

caff What's a Dremel?

And don't forget the massive discount you get on the applecare!

4. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Technically apple care is free. The uplift only extends the telephone support to 3years. As standard you get three years hardware cover already.

5. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Really? That's not what they told me instore. If that's the case I'm going to be phoning up with some stern words and a polite request for my £50 back, because I flat-out asked them that directly and they told me no, you get full applecare for the first year and then nothing unless you buy the £50 applecare.

AH

6. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

If I remember correctly there maybe a difference between buying in store and online. Certainly online you get three years cover as a student and the uplift just extends the phone support.

7. ArtificialHero

I might ping this K's way and find out what the score is.

AH

8. K

K 528491

Standard is one year's hardware cover, and 3 months phone support.

AppleCare is three years of both.

There's no difference in store for students whatsoever, except for the price of course.

In SOME cases certain educational establishments might have a deal with the online store where you automatically get three years hardware cover as standard, but it is not the norm and is quite rare as far as I know.

9. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

This is taken from this page http://www.apple.com/uk/education/hed/nationalcontract/

Staff, students and institutions can all get:

1. Special pricing and discounts.
    2. Dedicated Apple Store with two levels of user access (browse and purchase)
    3. Special promotions
    4. Special three year parts and labour coverage, with additional first-year warranty and support benefits, as standard
    5. Special offer on AppleCare Protection Plan purchased at the same time as systems

10. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Yep a beautiful 3 year guarantee no added cost if you buy online! :)

11. RTT

RTT #parp

Yup, student purchases get 3 years (online or offline, makes no difference) and normal purchases get 1 year.

12. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

13. K

K 528491

Never even seen that before! No idea how this works, as the Online Store is an entirely different entity to the Retail Stores. Might as well be different companies. I wouldn't think you'd get this if you purchased at one of the Retail Stores... Could be wrong, I don't work in sales ;)

14. ArtificialHero

Are you a Genius?

15. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

16. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

It's been the policy of apple for some time now. Years I believe. :)

17. K

K 528491

Apparently so, according to some of my colleagues today. Guess they don't bring it up a lot on the shopfloor for obvious reasons. It's definitely not something you can get from the shop though.

Not a Genius no. That would also be dealing with customers. Not my cuppa tea ;)

18. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

I thought you could get it in the shop? Would be interested in knowing why not as the machine is the same price online. You lose 2years warranty by not going online as a student. Seems bonkers unless you need one that day.

19. K

K 528491

Not as far as I could tell. I mean, the phone support you get with in-store APP could be extremely useful to certain people too... Especially if you're in a really remote university or whatever. A lot of people buy their machines before they leave for university too so probably have no idea there's an online educational store.

20. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

I'm not surprised most customers don't know the apple HE store exists. Customers as a rule are stupid and don't research anything :D