1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Ada --a NAS (Network Attached Storage)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Nexxo, 22 Nov 2008.

1. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Woo! A new Nexxo project! :runsandgrabspopcorn:

Its looking good - nice and simple. I might have left a bit of room for expansion personally, but what they hay...

Heres a linky for you:
    http://resources.mini-box.com/online/powersimulator/powersimulator.html
    It'll let you calculate the power usage of your beast. The Jetway doesn't appear to be up there, but 90w will definitely cover it - unless you install a 260GTX on there, which I doubt you will.

The Pico-PSUs are awesome. They work out quite cheap - as Nexxo said, roughly £40, though occasionally for less. I recently bought a 60W Morex board + brick for £22, which was a good find...

I must say I've never seen those drives before. I have used the CF IDE drives, and I must that they are pretty fantastische, though a bit slow if you use a low end CF card. At £4.50 though, they're a steal. (I'm resisting buying one for myself... :p)

Really looking forward to seeing this materialise...

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That would be Susan Ivanova, in Babylon 5, in the episode: "Grail" (season 1, episode 15).

(God, I'm such a geek...)

Not yet. It should be exactly the same, however.

...same obsession. :D :thumb:

There is an Via Epia SN10000 which has four SATA ports. But two extra drives would increase noise and power requirements, and frankly, it is easier to just slam in two bigger drives in the future. HDDs will always get bigger and cheaper. Also, the Jetway has modular expansion capabilities: for about £20,-- I can add three extra LAN ports or Wifi without increasing its physical dimensions (it will still fit within the back plate). Handy if I want Ada to function as a router.

Excellent, thanks. :thumb: About 33 Watts: I figured about 36 so that's OK.

Last edited: 22 Nov 2008
  3. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Anything that will heat up in the microwave shouldn't be used. :thumb:

4. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@Nexxo - Most any plastic would do for your uprights (IMO wood wouldn't go with the aesthetic - would it?) PVC, or opaque acrylic are good choices as you'll be able to find lots of different sizes and grades of tubing to suit your spec. Also they have very little RF absorbing properties - CF is just a very unique material in that regards, eg: its often used on the shell of fighter planes to minimize radar visibility.

Enough deliberation mate! Move this baby over to the project logs section and get cracking. Too long has it been since BT has been graced with a Nexxo worklog. =)

5. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Clear plexi/acrylic with some sort of intricate wire design on the inside would look great for the pillars.
    Or a simple design if you were going minimalistic.
    Possibly get some clear aluminum? ;)

6. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

As far as hiding the wifi aerials in the cf tubes i would shy away from that as 2.4 has a pretty hard time going through CF. I fly model aircraft with a 2.4ghz radio system and in our planes we have to keep our reciever antennas away from any CF in the plane for the fear of signal loss. Personally id come up with some other solution. Jonny

edit:
    well crap looks like i browsed over the other post regarding cf blocking 2.4, wood usually doesnt effect 2.4 signal. keep it away from water and CF and you should be good to go nexxo. Jonny

7. Nexxo

Thanks. :thumb:

While I was at it, I also did a render of a redesigned Babbage:

[​IMG]

I'll do one of both Ada and Babbage side-by-side tomorrow...

EDIT: and here they are:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Nov 2008
  8. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

What processor would Babbage have?

9. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Have you tried the Ubuntu Mobile yet? I use a minimal gOS which is based on Ubuntu and Xine for my my tinest HTPCs with good results. Audio and SD DVD video playback, not HD.

john

10. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

That would be cool for my webside table but i fear it lacks the processing power.
    If its just for file sharing a striped Debian Etch install would be plenty and you barely have to look at the OS just stick it on and away you go.

edit: Just remembered the Babbage thread, thats what you were talking about... Wrong project ignore me....

Last edited: 26 Nov 2008
  11. Nexxo

An Intel Core Duo --fastest available within the 35W range. Ideally I hope that with the new Penryn series a Mobile quad-core is not far down the line. But it is all limited by passive cooling capabilities.

Not yet, but gOS sounds worth looking into. I was thinking Ubuntu MID because of its GUI interface which is specifically designed for small touch-screens.

12. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Excellent.

I should be trotting out a new mod design soon, Nexxo is doing another mod and MS finally came back and started another-is it some kind of sign?

13. Nexxo

[​IMG]

Well, depends. I'll first have to see how easy/expensive it is going to be to get the heatsink wall part CNC'd.

14. koola

koola Minimodder

I know a member with the right tools ;)

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Loving the design, though the thick pieces will be either hard to work with or expensive.

And a bit offtopic, but how on earth can you render sketchup models in Kerkythea? Does that require SketchUp Pro? (EDIT: whoopass, I think I just figured this one.. EDIT2: nope.. I have the exporter, but can't create any .xml's.)

Last edited: 29 Nov 2008
  16. Nexxo

You need to install the SU2KT (Sketchup To Kerkythea, geddit?) Exporter. This is a plug-in for Google Sketchup (it doesn't need to be the Pro version, although it works just as well on that).

Once installed, SketchUp should have a few extra icons on the task bar. You do your design, then hit the Export to Kerkythea icon and a dialog window comes up asking some options. Just go with the default settings. It asks you where to drop the .xml file it creates, and whether you want to open the model in Kerkythea (say yes). That's all there is to it.

It is helpful to define the materials further in Kerkythea. Objects that have the same colour in Sketchup will be assumed to be the same material in Kerkythea, so when you select one of them they all light up. Then select what material you want them to be. Make sure to download and install some material libraries in Kerkythea; I would recommend basic glasses and the metals and plastics packs.

Set your lighting/sky, insert a floor plane (under Basic Primitives), and render. Presto.

17. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Yes I hear it's easy and straight forward, but my SketchUp/Exporter just doesn't seem to know how to export .xml? Here's a piccy to hilight the issue..

[​IMG]

As far as I know that's the place where there should be .xml-format available?

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

When can we expect the project log? *tap* *tap* *tap**tap* *tap* *tap**tap* *tap* *tap*

19. Nexxo

Save it anyway, and see what format it does it in. It is weird anyway; it saves it as an .xml file but the result shows up in Explorer as a folder. However opening the folder in Kerkythea works as if it was a file.

20. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I had been wondering some of that myself, Nexxo...

So when do we get to see this?