Electronics LED Repeater? Help, electronics wizards...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BorgBob, 25 Oct 2002.

1. BorgBob

BorgBob What's a Dremel?

So I'm reading about a guy who modded a LAN hub into his system and I think--cool, I like it. Then I started thinking about some stuff and got to wondering--is there a simple circuit that will let you place a sensor in front of an LED, and when that LED lights it will light another LED somewhere else?

I know I could just rip open this hub and wire to its LED's, but I was wondering about a solution that wreaks less havoc on the device?

Any ideas?

2. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

This can be done via fiber optics, or you can put a photo transistor, one end connected to +5v and the other to your LED's
    With a current limiting resistor of course.

But often the LED wont be bright enough to do this.

It may be worth moving the LED, or taping off the signal to a transistor. (You don't have to de-solder the LED just solder to one point on it)

3. AmPz

AmPz What's a Dremel?

Use a phototransistor combined with a regular transistor in order to amlify the current.

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

As for the mechanics of it, heat-shrink tubing is your friend.

[​IMG]

This guy used a LDR, but you could swap for other photo-sensors.

Interesting site, this was part of an early design for a gizmo to switch computer or hi-fi peripherals (printer, monitor, active speakers, etc) on when the main unit draws current. Final design here.