1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Tom Clancy's Endwar

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 23 Nov 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/11/23/tom-clancys-endwar/1

Good console RTS games are a rarity and that's mainly because of the limitations imposed on the controller. Ubisoft has tried something different with Tom Clancy's Endwar, as it uses voice commandsl to get over the controller hurdles. But does it work, and is it any good? Read on to find out...

:eyebrow:

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Really sucks about the AI, I was looking towards this review as well :(

3. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

Why didn't they just enable keyboard and mouse support?
    Keybaord already works on xbox and the xbox has 3 usb ports, so its just a case of drivers for the mouse.
    they could of then made a limited edition box set with a branded keyboard and mouse in it

4. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

A keyboard and mouse to a dedicated console gamer (i.e doesnt game on PC) would probably be worse than voice controls. I've seen my friends who are PC tards trying to play any of my games, and they move the mouse like it is a bomb, and getting them to use the keyboard at same time as the mouse - murder!!

5. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Picked this up the other day, it's a nice game once you get into the later missions, not as challenging as a good Pc RTS mind you. Only issue is that my GF finds it hilarious when I'm sat playing so I have to play it while she's at work hahaha

'Unit 1 Attack Hostile 2'

mmmm yeah . . .

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

It's an OK game, but it doesn't stack up against traditional PC-based RTS games. Ubisoft have removed so much of the RTS cannon that it's not really an RTS any more.

Later missions do get better, but they're all still a variation of the same theme of "survive until reinforcements arrive" or "go and fight the enemy troops".

7. Blackmoon181

Blackmoon181 Geography,Its not just colouring in

does the type of microphone you have majorly affect the accuracy of the sound recognition software ?

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

It's made to work with the standard Xbox 360 headset. I used the original wired one, but imagine that it'd be fine with the wireless one too.

Because of the limited vocab used (80-90 words, according to Ubisoft, all of which were chosen to enhance the chances of recognition) and the recognition used (it looks for the hard sounds in a word), as well as the fact that it's designed to be used in a fairly noisy environment (i.e. with the game sounds in the background), I would think it's fairly bullet-proof.

I play all my games in the cinema with a full 5.1 setup, and had no problems with the recognition at all.

9. Deadwolf

Deadwolf What's a Dremel?

Question i have, will the PC version be voice support too, and can you turn it off and just use a mouse.. but if the game is dumb down, then why would anyone want to play a Console to PC ported game?