1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Planning: The New Silent Night

Discussion in 'Modding' started by 500mph, 22 Nov 2008.

1. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Alright, I figured I would make a proper thread, with a proper mod.
    This mod will be called "Silent Night". Now this isn't exactly the same as my last "Silent Night". I gave up on that one due to my dislikes with the chassis and lack in funds. I have a job now, and a decent case. The theme will be black, white, and silent. Trying to be as silent as possible will mean watercooling, and passive heatsinks.

The case is a Lancool K-10, See it here.. Nice black aluminum exterior and a sturdy steel chassis. This is essentially the Lancool K7 bit reviewed a while ago but with a door. This can use the same sidepanels and such as the pc-6,6x,6xx and 7 series.I plan on cutting the fangrills, psu support, removing the hdd rack and modifying the front to support a 240mm rad. I will do accent lighting with the case, as well as install a fan controller.

Things to do to the case:

Make sketchup model
    Order new side panel and top panel.
    Cut Chassis
    Create accent lighting
    Mock fit everything
    Paint chassis
    Put everything together
    ???
    Profit

The hardware that is going into it:
    EVGA 680i A1 $50
    Sold to me by spqqky, I will be watercooling the northbridge and I will custom fab a backplate for this out of plexi.

Intel E6300 $130 When it was new off of ebay
    @ 3.3Ghz, where it is stable under water hopefully.

2x 2GB OCZ SLI DDR2 800mhz $35 bucks each off of ebay
    This has been effectively overclocked to 1100mhz at 5-5-5-15. I might get the OCZ XTC cooler.

EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked $250-300
    Man that's a long product name. This might be watercooled eventually.

2x WD800BD $20 and a trade for Ram with thacrudd
    In RAID 1 for redundancy and read speeds.

1Tb WD Caviar Black$130
    Space is at a premium so a large drive is needed.

OCZ StealthXStream 600w$60 on Newegg
    I might replace the fan in this. It is already quiet.

4xEnermax "Cluster" $17 each, grr.
    120mm fans, White and silent.

Watercooling bits:
    Everything will be 1/2"ID
    OCZ HydroFlow $40
    Seems to as good as the Apogee GT, and it goes with the rest of my OCZ hardware.

DD-CPX Pro $60
    Feel free to suggest something else.

Black Ice® GT Stealth 240 $50
    I need a rad under 278mm, any suggestion? I would like xflow but I know that isnt going to happen.

EK Special EVGA 680i Northbridge Water Block $41

EK-Mosfet 680i$39

EK-Mosfet 680i - Part 2$39

Thats all for this loop.
    I might watercool the ram/gpu's on a second loop, wth a 240 rad on the top of the case.

Notes:
    Jesus christ this is going to cost a lot. Once I get a sketchup going and done, with some basic stuff done I might ask for sponsors.
    Once I get the sketchup done I will give examples of lighting of idea's I have for the case. Or maybe if I get bored and get photoshop installed I will modify some pictures.

-you might be able to tell by the length of this post I have put a bit of thought into this, and I am serious about it this time. It might take a year to get done, but it will get there.

Any comments/questions?

Last edited: 22 Nov 2008
  2. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Hopefully i can enjoy that kinda enthusiastic out look once i get going with this case i have.

3. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Look into Feser rads as they generally outperform all others when using fans that are <80cfm if you are going to use a high output fan on your radiator then you should get the one you listed above. (Remember to get a sheath to minimize the dead spot from the fans)

4. 500mph

The Feser I just looked at exceeds the maximum length for where I want to mount it.
    Any suggestions?

Edit: What If I doubled up the fans on the Rad? A push/pull configuration maybe?

Last edited: 23 Nov 2008
  5. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Yeah, the Feser XChanger rads are the same size as the Thermochill PA range.
    Speaking of Rads, do you have to have a thin one?! The only reason why I am asking is because the Black Ice GT Stealth really aren't that great.

6. 500mph

Well I want to be able to mount it into the front of my case with minimal cutting, and I want to keep the 3 5.25" bays I have 11" of space in the front which is 279.4mm

It would be a bad idea to use 2x 184mm rads wouldnt it?

How about the GTX240

Last edited: 24 Nov 2008
  7. 500mph

Well, I am considering dropping watercooling from this build. Seems like an expense I don't quite need. I could however spend that money on something else.

First, I bought something today.
    Nevermind

Well, I bought it Wednesday night. Newegg still hasn't verified/charged me for the purchase. Seems I am having a bit of trouble with my credit card company. They thought I was someone making a fraudulent purchase so they locked my card. Now I have to go down to the bank to unlock it. Woo!
    I also bought a tripod.

I am considering getting a 9600GSO for ~$80 as a Physx card. Anybody had any experience with that?

Last edited: 1 Dec 2008
  8. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

What is a sheath and how does it eliminate dead spots? Sounds interesting.

9. ATLPIMP

ATLPIMP oooh, shiney

Shroud.

What it does is locate the fan further from the radiator to get a more even stream of air through the rad. The dead spot would be the spot directly in the center of the fan, under it's motor.

Make sense?

10. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

yes thanks. i knew what a shroud did, but not a sheath. :lol:

11. Mithyx

Mithyx There is no Dremel

A sheath keeps you from cutting yourself on your knife or sword. It also protects the blade from damage... :D

Sorry, couldn't resist

12. spenc259

spenc259 in the build stage!!!

it would have been interesting if you were going to carry forward the watercooling... as i want to get my mod as silent as poss + im using the same cpu block and rad so would have been interesting to hear what they were like! also im using both speeds of the Noiseblocker fans for the case and rad and have yet to test them!

13. 500mph

I was thinking about changing the rad though, seems it isnt the best performer. I am still looking for the OCZ Hydroflow, but it seems it is out of stock on the internet. Any idea where I could buy one?
    Also, the rad I am looking at now is this one. Heard anything good or bad about it?

I know I want to watercool, or at least get a better air cooler. When this is at 3.5ghz under load it is in the high 70's. I am still going to get those Enermax fans as they seem pretty good.

I can't wait to see more of your mod finished!

14. yeknom

yeknom What's a Dremel?

I'd stick with the Black Ice one; the NexXos rads aren't that great.

15. 500mph

Alright. There a few Black Ice series that I could use. Suggestion? Under 278mm of course.