1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress StackArt

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by fflow, 10 Dec 2007.

1. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

I still remembered these drive bays, they're awesome :) I'm very anxious to see if you're going to make a whole case in this great style.

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Oh colors and lights! Nice:clap:
    john

3. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

A small break :lol: This looks great! Now I have to go back and read the rest of your log!
    subbed

Edit- read the whole log from start to finish. Very nice work! The link on the first post to your previous mod of the cd player only allows us to see it when joined as a member on that board, any chance of having a pic/link viewable to us without that? (bit tech now hosts images, you can use theirs!)

I like the way you swapped the sides. Great idea.

I really like the way you made the hard drive cage. The rubber mounting is inspired and cool. The whole thing does have an art deco feel to it. The tubes add a bit of a futuristic look. I can't wait to see the tubing filled with fluid and the case all together. :thumb:

Last edited: 22 Nov 2008
  4. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

Haha not really small. I was traveling for a few months, which was amazing, so i wasnt able to mod.

Thanks for remembering ;)

I know what happend to the cd player thread, I changed host some time ago and totaly forgot about that one so even for me there are no pics. I stil got some pics in my profile on the other site, I think anyone can see it. And some more pics. ps. the content of the player changes from time to time.
    Here are some of the silent dragon. (thanks for the heads up, i'll fix the startpost in a moment.)

5. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

very nice ! I really like the light/colour effect!

6. ModMinded

I'm jealous of your months of travelling, it's been years since I took a nice trip like that. Welcome back, now get to work! :D (I kid, I kid...)

offtopic
    Just checked out the pics, very nice mod of a cd player! I was thinking of doing something similar to a VCR... someday. :)
    Can't tell what's going on with the silent dragon... whats up on the foam box and fans? It doesn't look like you made that into a case, but rather that it's separate from the case?

/offtopic.

7. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

lol, i will, i will.

The silent dragon was a try to get a silent case using the principle of an sound dampening box. On the first pic in the link you'll see two white boxes, bottom right intake and top left outtake. The results were mixed so i ripped the boxes out. At the moment i still use the case, on the outside it lookes really good.

8. jay dawg

jay dawg the crazy mod dawg

i really like what you have done so far with this mod. the hdd cage is very well constructed and very eye appealing the lighting was a nice touch of detail. i do have two questions/concerns on it as well. First the hdd's are mounted with the rubber seals on the outside of the screws just slide into the cage from what it looks like? Do the hdd's actually fasten to the cage if not dont u run a risk of vibration and dislogging from the half circle entry points that hold it in place? and Secondly you mounted the whole cage to the base with just one screw on each side, is this enough attachment or would it be better to have them at the 4 corners?

either way great mod and look forward to seeing this one complete, grats on the traveling btw.

9. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

Thanks, really liked it to.

The rubber rings are partially over the screws and glued together. In the tray itself the rubber rings sink half way into the half circle points, even if i was to move my case it has to be on its side to fall out. You have a point there, i mustn't put the case on its side.

Attaching the floor and the tray with two screws seem to be sufficient. On the sides it's supported by U beam and i will ad two more pieces to actually screw the screws in.

10. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Congrats on the nomination.
    Now how about some updates?

11. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

congrats for the mod of the month nomination !
    you get my vote !:thumb:

12. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

It's a great honor. Never thought my case would be one nominated.

Working at a certain pase. Really there is no time planning but work is done the last couple days.

ps. don't get confused by the nick chance.

13. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I love the work you've done so-far mate. Keep it coming!

My only criticism is the construction speed... we need more!!!

14. TiMiN8R

TiMiN8R What's a Dremel?

Good to see you're travelling hasn't taken away from your modding skills :cooldude:
    Congrats on getting nominated for MotM, keep up the good work!

15. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

Update 8

As promised the rear of the inside :lol: Little text, lots of pictures.

[​IMG]
    The beginning.

[​IMG]
    To create space, a piece of the original back had to go.

[​IMG]

The beginning of the new rear.

[​IMG]
    Little bending,

[​IMG]
    So you have this.

[​IMG]
    It fits :D after filling, fitting, filling, fitting, it fits :d

[​IMG]
    The second piece fits as well.

[​IMG]
    How will it all precisely be arranged, lets try.

[​IMG]
    I know now, it’s going to be like this.

[​IMG]
    Some details made. Only I wasn’t satisfied with the build quality, the holes in the plexi and aluminum are off.

[​IMG]
    So, made it again and this time it is right.

[​IMG]
    Time for pain in my vingers.

[​IMG]
    Au, but it is done.

[​IMG]
    Checking how it looks.

[​IMG]
    Without..

[​IMG]
    With.

[​IMG]
    Placed. (click-a-bel)

The result. (clickable)
    How and if the lightning will come is undecided, to have some idea I stuck a 30cm ccfl in the back.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Till so far the update.
    Which part is next I dunno yet, first it is time to tidy my place a bit ;)

16. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Beautiful!

may I ask what kind of tubing it is that you're using?

17. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

That's a nice place to hide the pump, great work on the cover :)

18. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Wow! This is coming along very nicely. Those panels look outstanding! :thumb:

19. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

Thanx :thumb:

The tubing used is OC-press, it some kind of food rated tubing, which I bought by a Dutch online shop but is closed now for maintenance (for a year now:sigh:)

Finding a good spot for the pump was difficult. At first I planned at next to the hdd cage at the bottom, but as plans progress and take a different form there was no space left. I kinda plan as I go which has the bennifit of not making a mayor plan ahead besides the theme and rough layout, but the downside is that I have to plan with every new step. Therefore it is hard to tell when the next update is.

ps. do you like some big updates or more small ones?

20. ModMinded

Looks great! I really like the metal covers, and the plexi accents. The lights a little bright for me at the moment, but it does looks spectacular (may just be the pic) Does the case close well with those bolt heads sticking out from the side?
    I didn't even think of using my workmate for bending metal... thanks for that idea!
    I like updates with pics and words... size doesn't matter (that's what he said... :hehe: ... I know, I shouldn't laugh at my own jokes... but if I don't.... ;) )
    Sometimes with updates w/o words but with lots of pics, I feel like I'm playing that game of "spot the difference between these pics." (I don't like that game, btw, that or Memory.)

PS- you really shouldn't keep motherboards (or any circuitboards) on the carpet like that... (unless they're already dead!)

Last edited: 11 Dec 2008