1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Peer Guardian

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pookeyhead, 16 Dec 2008.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

After reading the Davenport Lyons thread, I installed Peer Guardian.

Now, when I visit Bit Tech... everything stops, and I'm informed via Peer Guardian that it's blocking my IP from Double Click.inc and Valueclick.inc

Are these known ad contributors to the forum site? If Peer Guardian has these companies on their block list, would they be gathering information from me normally, via cookies?

I would rather anything on that list keeps blocking to be honest, but then Bit becomes unusable slow.

Advice?

[EDIT]

Or am I being paranoid and allow HTTP?

Last edited: 16 Dec 2008
  2. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

If I remember correctly, you can set it up to allow certain websites, ie. manual filtering...
    ________
    Vaporizer wiki

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  3. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

If you use Firefox i would recommend no-script. I have it set up to block the scripts from the ad companies. And for Peer guardian, i only use it to block out UDP traffic because i find the same kind of problems when surfing the web with it on HTTP block. IIRC the companies like Davenport Lyons are only going after Torrent down loaders because they are easier to track. I think you should be safe to allow HTTP.

4. rito

rito What's a Dremel?

Peerguardian doesn't do any thing as most companies know about it. your best bet is stick to private trakers.

5. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Well it obviously does something, and something is better than nothing

But agreed, if your worried about being caught, dont pirate its really that simple in the end (not having a go i run peerguardian and pirate things like tv shows just saying that he people are worried then don't do it there is no other way to really avoid it)

6. rito

rito What's a Dremel?

It just gives the illusion of security, its just a tin foil hat.

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I know it's not foolproof, and at best a band-aid on a gaping wound, but hey... better than nothing.

I've set it for just p2p now.

I have no pirate software, but I do torrent things like Top Gear etc cos I usually miss it... no idea how radical these people are, so just a littler extra help. Plus.. I object to snooping.

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firewalling off half the internet isn't exactly a tinfoil hat.

But anyways, I allow HTTP with PG. It just goes ballistic if I don't set it that way - it's literally blocking over 2.3b "bad" IP addresses (out of a maximum of just over 4b with IPv4) and I don't need alerts every two seconds. Not to mention that its log file got absurdly big - something like 40GB in a couple of weeks. Apparently it now auto-zips archived logs after a few days, and thankfully they compress down by about 95%.

9. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

If you are just getting TV shows then I think you are safe. It is the game companies that hire out people like Daven Port, and rarely if at all do television studios. (Movies on the other hand is another story)