1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows PC vs Consoles: 'PlayStation 4 Might Live Inside Your PC'

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by cjmUK, 20 Dec 2008.

1. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

See this article.

Loads of other interesting stuff in this article, regardless which side of the fence you prefer...

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

But then it isn't a PS4, it's just software for the PC?

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

*coff*this reminds me of a certain vapourware*coff*

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

And a set configuration which is exactly what a console is.
    This generation have been exotic hardware but the xBox for example was just a pentium 3 box with some addons. There is nothing to say you can't, like apple, buy a computer in a set configuration and a badge that says its a Playstation any variation and its not. With a firmware chip to run in console mode and a bios option to boot to windows, that would effectively eliminate the need to build custom hardware for a console. It would also defeat some of the purpose of making your own pc but as apple have shown there are plenty of people who would take this option.

5. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

What i'd like to see is the complete opposite, but still very similar to OP's post.

Consoles start coming out with keyboards and mice ( or at least a trackball into the wireless keyboard) which with available software to download through the xbox live network, get msn messenger, firefox, and email reader, etc.

Then the consoles replace the computers....the hardware is all the same, so easy to program for. I'd love to see that happen, i just cant understand why it hasnt sooner, id love a box that i just had hooked up to a monitor, stuck on the desk next to it, runs games without installs, it would be sweet.

Hook that up to some online storage, and whack all your mobile media files onto the cloud, and bam. Fun times.

6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Have I missed cheesecake humour of some kind? You are just describing a PC, or the (forced) stagnation of the PC industry :lol:

7. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Except a 360 costs £100 for one without a hard drive, you cant get a pc that matches that price and performance!

8. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

You probably can with cheap bits, maybe second hand off ebay, you might have to go dual core rather than tri plus though.

Are you counting the live subscription in with that price too? How much is it say for a year?

9. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Stickeh, I understand your point, but the key difference between consoles and PCs is standardisation. PCs are superior but more expensive and more complicated - primarily due to the versatility of non-standard parts (that happen to conform to the IBM PC 'standard' of sorts, ironically) The console is effectively a snapshot of a PC that has a more limited role. In order for the console to replace the PC, we would need either for the console to become as powerful (i.e. upgradeable) and as flexible as a PC (not going to happen, obviously) or for the desire for power and flexibility to disappear (not going to happen, obviously).

Option C is LeMaltor's 'forced stagnation' idea, which many PC gamers might suspect, but again, realitically ain't going to happen.

So IMHO the console will not ever replace the PC.

Now as to whether the the PC can replace the console, I would suggest it is possible, but very unlikely. What I wonder might happen is that when Sony release the PS4 for £400 in 201x, the will also release a PS4 emulator for the PC for say £350. It will save on the cost of hardware, and PC players will be able to game with their PS4 friends. The only downside is the extra (probably punitive) DRM that will be required - it's easier to 'chip' a software sandbox than a hardware unit, after all.

No but you can't edit a Word document on a 360 whereas you can on a £100 PC....

10. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

Completely agree consoles could never replace PC's the opposite is more likely but still extremely unlikely.

Now if emulators were somehow better coded so they could run modern consoles instead of last gen consoles that would be interesting.

11. vandigeth

vandigeth What's a Dremel?

Well, after the flop that is the Playstation 3 that may be the only way for them to get back on their feet lol. I loved the PS2, but Sony really blew it with this thing. I never cared about movies, not once did I ever play a DVD movie on my PS2. I mean, why didn't they make a model without a Blu-Ray player? I don't care about Blu-Ray. I think an emulated product for the PC would allow for some customization to turn on and off options that you otherwise couldn't when buying the actual console.

I like the idea though, console emulation on my PC. I would buy it, or at least try it for a while. The only reason I tried Xbox Live was through Game for Windows (Fallout 3 on PC, in particular, and I love the modding unit on it btw). I'm done buying console hardware unless it's another Nintendo product my wife wants. Trust me, no amount of gaming beats what she can offer. =)

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

the best bit of a console is the multiplayer with friends in the same room, the Wii is boring to play on your own, if anything consoles are social devices.

now if they start slapping PS4 enabled all over hardware much like it is with the Vista ready sticker, then the social aspect may disappear, as computers tend to be a solo use device, unless you got a massive screen.

Keep computers as computers and consoles as consoles, i agree with Stickeh with the MSN and web browser, so you have the ability mid game to hit google and search for a FAQ or guide for the game your going crazy over.

They already made good progress with the Xbox 360 and PS3 by making them more as HTPC's bridging the gap.

Anyone remember the CD player on the old Playstation? And anyone else hack there PS2 with Linux... haha! The PS2 failed as a DVD player due to the amount of dam noise it makes!!!

13. vandigeth

vandigeth What's a Dremel?

I believe you are right about the social-ness of the consoles. I just think that why can't the PC just hookup to the television like any console and have a controller hub? I mean, the PC can do anything a console can do and more. One unit, one entertainment device. I don't know, I suppose there are a lot of different styles out there but people can still all sit around and play on a game. I mean they already make controllers for the PC, only a matter of putting them all into a USB router/hub and from there you could probably expand the player base from well beyond four if you wanted.

I just think the console era will die. Not now, probably not for 25 or 50 years, but it will eventually. PCs are becoming more stable all the time. Wireless electricity is on the way, I read about it the other day. Wireless video is not far behind, it will just transmit to the television. Fact is, consoles are becoming more obsolete everyday with the advances in technology. The only future for consoles is VR, in my humber opinion.

I agree with you about the DVD player as well, it was a piece of junk. lol. The PS3 does run quieter, thank God.

14. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

PC through TV? Check! [Through multiple TVs if you wish]
    Multiple Controllers? Check! [The joys of USB...]
    Games that support multiple local users? Check! - But very rarely.

It's been 10 years since you could generally have multiple local users on a PC game. I suppose they could do it again, but to be honest, it is a niche market. PC Gaming these days is generally about keyboard & mouse, close up to a very high resolution screen, running over LAN/internet. While the social aspect of consoles is very appealing, your average PC gamer doesn't want to be crippled by a controller, viewing a lo-res image in one quarter of the screen from 6 feet away.

15. nukeman8

completely agree with the social aspect of consoles but it could so easier be moved onto PC's with the right equipment.
    ps3/xbox360 emulator on a PC hooked up to a TV with a wireless reciever for controllers plugged into usb. Sorted.

16. Major

Major Guest

I hope this doesn't happen.

17. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

there was a pc with a sega mega drive built in many years ago, didnt catch on though

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

personally the best time i have had playing on a console was at a lan party with an old school Xbox brick hooked up to a projector that the admin had bought along.

Halo on a 150in screen in frag heaven!!

I think consoles like the Wii will be the true next gen path for consoles, the 360 and PS3 are just trying to copy the PC quality of graphics at a 1/3 of the price in some cases, and those types of games such as Fallout 3, GTA IV and other FPS like battle field 2 should stay on PC.

And the world will be at peace when Gran turismo finally makes it to the PC!

The problem is the fact that the console may win, as eco friendly developement may force the PC into grave.

I was in PC World the other day and heard a sales man trying to sell a Quad core machine to an old couple, who wish to use there computer for email, internet and family pictures. What a huge waste of processing power, and electricity for them.

The Intel Atom developement maybe the start of the re-birth of the simple home computer.

And for us gamers, we keep the Quads! ROFL!!

19. nukeman8

why not? Im not saying do away with consoles completely but at least with the xbox 360 have it so you can play the games on a windows based pc

20. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Most of the time, you can, when the Windows version isn't intentionally delayed, which is why my Xbox gets less and less playtime now since i've built my PC. I'm patient enough to play non PC games on my PS3 and then buy Xbox/Windows exclusives on PC for $10 less than their counterpart.