1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide $7 MotherBoard Tray

Discussion in 'Modding' started by metarinka, 13 Feb 2005.

1. malcolm

malcolm What's a Dremel?

I've fabbed a few this way, and I've found the standoffs give the motherboard just enough clearance from the tray, for the bottoms of the PCI slot covers to fit properly. Which is kinda handy ;) (i.e. no standoffs, and you can't push your PCI or AGP cards in all the way because the metal backing plate will bottom out on the motherboard)

Does that make sense, or do you need a picture?

2. Neo4

Neo4 What's a Dremel?

very good guide :)

3. ghost2501

ghost2501 What's a Dremel?

Hello this is my first post anyway I made one of these with my laser engraver/cutting machine. I laser drilled the holes to exact size where I could screw in some extra brass motherboard standoffs I had. You can see the laser cut notch or slot I made for the graphics card metal pci slot tab. It helps having a computerized laser I never have to think about measuring and I can design it in corel draw. I can also mass produce them 1 minute after the prototype is done.

Just to set the actual record straight here You do need to have standoffs because the pci slot tab on the graphics card will dig into the table if its not so high off the table. I amusing 3/16 thick acrylic and regular MOBO standoffs from an ultra case or an old one I scrapped. Notice the slot I made in the acrylic so the pci tab would fit. It is just right as the pci slot goes past the surface if the acrylic but dosent reach the table.

Also anyone saying there is too much stress etc is silly since you all mount your motherboards in your cases dont you? This is the same stress points and attatch points. I use my "motherboard cradle" when testing new parts before a build I can slide my motherboard around on the table top like its gliding on air.

Another point I would like to make is when using a marker etc. if you are off a little here on this one there on that one etc. if you use standoffs when you tighten your board down it could flex and crack if its not allighned right. The correct way to do this is download a template that I can make in I would say PDF format when you print it it would have correct scale holes and you tape it down on acrylic and it would take 2 sheets of regular paper tape them where the hash marks overlap and then mark and drill the holes.

Also as far as standoffs go I specifically laser cut my holes to a specific size so that the standoff screws right in and tightens up perfect. Now I am not saying that If I tried to torque them down they wouldnt strip but I have taken a board on and off 10 times at least and no standoffs have come loose yet. When I sell the final design I will have plastic standoffs that have a kind of quick disconnect that will hold the mobo in place.

This is a rough prototype as I will add rubber feet or bearings depending on preference and I will even add a lazy susan and a header with swithces for the mobo.

[​IMG]

This one has been used by me but I just wanted to put a picture up. I plan on making many additions to it including getting my plastic bender made. My laser comes in handy especially when i can take any clear case window etc. and laser cut an exact hole and screw holes for any size fan.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2008
  4. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

nice laser cut job, did you tap those brass standoffs into the acrylic?

the whole reason I used a plexi mobo tray was that it no longer needed standoff's as it's non conductive.

5. ghost2501

I used a scrap piece of acrylic and cut different size holes until I got it just right then I slowly screwed each standoff into the board. It worked really well. Unfortunatly if you are using a drill etc you probably would have to tap it since you cant get exact.

I plan on trying plastic standoffs since they are cheap for making this for other people and they are quick disconnect type and will work fine for this since the mobo will be laying down.

Its kind of funny I can do all kinds of stuff including making a special one for each mobo I have with a micro fan bebeath the cpu and NB etc. Eventually I will make one with the powersupply and drives below it so its more conveniant for me.

I am wondering from your pricture how you get a videocard in the pci slot and have work, as without standoffs and cutting that slot into mine It would hit the table, yours looks so close to the table I was just wondering.

Last edited: 24 Dec 2008
  6. Navig

Navig What's a Dremel?

Here is the hardware I use to mount my motherboards:

[​IMG]

A standard 6-32 screw, length depends on the thickness of the motherboard tray material, typically 1".

Rubber well nut also known as a rivet nut, with a 6-32 threaded insert. For those in the US, that's McMaster part # 93495A120.

Secure the motherboard down with a 6-32 knurled nut.

It's a little more expensive, but works awesome. No more fumbling around with a screw driver to lock your motherboard down. Note, you can't use this with a standard pci card bracket mount, as these standoffs are approximately 1/2" tall, which is taller than the standard motherboard standoff.

Here's another benefit of this method, for the extreme coolers out there:

As seen here, increasing the standoff height is as simple as adding a spacer (altho again you will have to account for this height difference in your pci card mounting system).

navig--having built >25 scratch built cases.

7. ghost2501

Tags: