1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks aspire one

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mirciu, 3 Jan 2009.

1. mirciu

mirciu What's a Dremel?

hi guys. i have a question that puzzles me. i bought this netbookm aao 110, with the sdd and installed xp on it. comparing it to my ancient desktop, 800mhz 256mb ram, onboard video, this is a slideshow. i thought that by changing this ssd, with a 1.8" harddrive i migt get some more speed out of it. in any case. i have already bought 1gb of ram that i will install in a few days, but i don't know what harddrive to buy. i saw that it's an ide, and checked some on ebay, and i saw some ipod harddrives, but i'm not sure if they will be compatible from the connectors point of view. heeelp. thanks:sigh:

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

SSDs should be faster than HDDs.

Your problem is more likely to be something to do with Windows or the programs you're running.

3. mirciu

mirciu What's a Dremel?

i've spent hours around the internet looking for solution, it seems this ssd is a POS. so i will change it, + don't like the fact that i have to "mutate" my windows to work with no paging on the ssd

4. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

There are SSD's and then there are SSD's. The ones in most of the netbooks are utter tripe. The hdd version of the aspire one is much quicker than the ssd one.

5. mirciu

mirciu What's a Dremel?

so back the original question, which one to buy

6. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

If it's a laptop-size drive (I believe that's 2.5") then AFAIK I don't think any particular brands stand out, unlike full desktop size drives (3.5").

Also, most 2.5" drives run at 5400 rpm, if you can find a 7200 rpm one if will be louder, but may produce better performance.

Edit: Looking again, running XP on less than 1GB of RAM (especially installing modern applications etc) will probably be the most significant factor in the slowness. Although, then again, I don't think netbooks are designed with great processors either. Maybe your spec Aspire One just wasn't designed for XP?

7. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

make sure you've pared out the crapware that acer likes to install before you completely give up on the SSD. and the ram upgrade should give you a good speed boost. xp on 512 kind of sucks.

@pimonserry - a 2.5" drive will not physically fit in the ssd model. you've got to squeeze in a 1.8" drive, like from an ipod.

8. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Personally I'd just sell the acer on ebay and get the hdd version. The windows one can be picked up for as little as £225. The hdd in the a150 is a standard sata laptop one so it makes upgrading easier and cheaper.

If you are determined to keep the current one you should take a look at this guide http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2008/08/16/modding-the-acer-aspire-one-hard-drive/

9. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Ahh. That's going to be a fair bit harder to find than a laptop drive isn't it?
    Unless you take a look on eBay, there's probably an iPod spares store on there.
    Bingo. Not too hard to find actually. Though it may not actually make a significant performance difference. :duh:

10. mirciu

mirciu What's a Dremel?

i know about that link, which was for me the source of the question. i baught this one for 130 euros, and i like it's design. i was thinking to do a sata mod, and solder a connection onto the board, but if i can find a damn 1.8" harddrive why bother. so should i look for a 5th gen ipod hardrive or an earlier version

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd go for the newest possible if speed is what you're really after, but how much performance will have improved over a couple of generations is an unknown quantity really - it could be just a couple of %.

12. mirciu

mirciu What's a Dremel?

i thought that from the 4th gen to the 5th gen they used different connectors. one had zif and the others something else. so if they all have the same connector i could get any of them
    ?

13. Igniseus

Igniseus What's a Dremel?

Its gotta be the SSD. I have an Acer Aspire one, 1GB, came with Linux but installed XP on myself. In terms of general XP usage, and basic applications like Firefox, Word, etc, its practically as fast as my spare PC which has 2GB of DDR RAM and an AMD Athlon 62 X2 at 2.2Ghz.

And to throw away the whole idea of it being just for browsing and basic usage, i also do a lot of gaming on (pre-2000 games), as well as use Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash (as in the developer software), and many other programs ill-advised for a netbook. They all run fantastic, and this is coming from someone who's main PC is a quad core at 3.4Ghz with 4GB RAM and a 4870.

14. mirciu

mirciu What's a Dremel?

15. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

yeah, that should work.