1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Mail server issue

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Gandi69, 12 Jan 2009.

1. Gandi69

Gandi69 Like to get busy wit fizzy..

Hey guys, been a long time since I've logged on here (2 and a half years nearly) but I need a bit of help. We have a strange problem at work. Our email server, using a static IP, is not receiving mail properly - it recieves 80% of the mail it should but some clients cant send any in.
    Mail is being sent in by thee clients and they dont get any bounce back the mail just goes from their mail server and never hits ours which is quite strange. All our MX records are correct and pointing to our IP, reverse DNS is setup by our ISP so its mapped to our static IP as it should be and the ports are open for exchange/pop3/smtp on the firewall yet still people cant send in mail.
    However some people do get bounce backs - I got this from from a fellow tech who kindly emailed me the response he got when emailing me:

Generating server: smoothwall.local

tech@blahblahdomain.co.uk
    #< #4.0.0 X-Postfix; lost connection with mail.blahblahdomain.co.uk[**IP removed for secruity**] while receiving the initial SMTP greeting> #SMTP#

Any ideas what could be causing this?
    Other bounce backs say nothing at all which is weird.

Many thanks in advance - Andy

2. highgeere

highgeere Not quite there.

Do you have access to maillog(or wherever postfix is logging)? I would expect more verbose output there than in the bounce message, plus any errors not directly related to that particular mail transaction.

3. Gandi69

Gandi69 Like to get busy wit fizzy..

Yeah I'll try and get the error reports as that mail server isnt ours. Its a weird one as theres not much to go on

4. img

img Minimodder

since it mentions smoothwall do you have the smoothwall add on smoothzap as we have had issues with this and smoothzap

5. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

I would check if your smtp server requires a EHLO or HELO