1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xerox Printer - Toner Depleted In Less Than 1 Week

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by hardeez1, 14 Jan 2009.

1. hardeez1

hardeez1 What's a Dremel?

Hey Guys,

I wanted to get some opinions on a printer issue I am having. I have a Xerox Phaser 6180 color laser printer that depletes all four colors of toner in less than a week, while hardley being used. I am sure it is a problem with the printer itself (not the toner) since it happend with all four cartridges. I tried googling without any luck. Anyone ever seen this before? Thanks for any advice!!!

Scott

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Is it actually using the toner or just saying that the cartridges are empty?
    Is the waste toner bottle filling up?

3. hardeez1

The toner is actually gone. I put them all in another identical printer and it said they were empty as well. I didn't even think to check the waste toner bottle, I will go check that. Thanks for the reply!

Scott

4. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

Is the printer left with power on all the time or are you switching on and off as needed?

5. hardeez1

It's normally left on all the time.

6. img

img Minimodder

have you checked the print quality and the usage logs in the last week on the printer. maybe someone printed off their novel while you wasnt there

7. hardeez1

I did, as that was my first thought as well. However it said it had only printed like 60 pages or so.

Thanks.

8. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

60 pages of PURE BLACKNESS!

either that or someone's been printing dark matter... pesky stuff that, kills toner but good source of energy...

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Would these be the part-filled toners you get with a brand-new printer these days? :confused:

10. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Hmmm something sounds a bit fishy to me. Have you checked the waste toner bottle yet? It might be part of the xerographics module if it's a small desktop unit. Are they brand new cartridges that are being chewed through that fast or as cpemma said the original fitted ones? Also might be worth taking out all the customer replaceable units (toner, xerographics module, fuser etc) and see if there is any contamination anywhere, that toner has to be going somewhere! I work for Xerox (although on the larger office gear), so might be able to help diagnose what's going on :)

11. hardeez1

Sweet, a Xerox expert (I won't tell you what my coworkers said about Xerox support, haha). But I actually could not find the waste toner bottle. Can you describe where it's located?

Also just FYI this is a color printer, mid-size. They were four brand new color cartridges. But yeah, that's what got me it's like where did it all GO?? I'm definitely no printer technician but I'm sure I could take the parts out and look for anything odd.

Thanks for the replies everyone!!!

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

My mums one had a waste toner cartidge I've NEVER seen a printer with one before that, it wasted about 50% of the toner I reckon so we just cut our losses and got rid of the printer, gone back to a Samsung B&W ML1210 and an ink printer for colour. Never going to get one again.

13. tank_rider

A lot of the small colour boxes have the waste toner in go into the xerographics or drum unit, so not to need a separate waste toner bottle. Maybe try taking the drum unit (or whatever it's called on your machine) and see if that's full of toner. I'd imagine that there must be a lot of toner knocking around somewhere inside the machine and if it's not showing up on prints (i.e spilling everywhere and into the paper path), then it must be going into the waste location. I'm not sure on the specifics of the machine you have as i work on the larger office multifunctionals. Could you get a pic with all the covers open? That should give me something to work from.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the service manuals for the phaser products else I'd be able to help a bit more!

It definitely sounds like there's something pretty seriously wrong if it uses 4 complete cartridges in 60 prints!

14. hardeez1

Yes I will take some pictures and post them asap. Thanks for the help.

15. hardeez1

16. tank_rider

Are the units with teh blue drums on them replaced with the toner? If so then I imagine the waste toner is put in the middle of the drums. Looks like an extended enterprise unit to me, either a samsung or sagem box rebranded and packaged up with our controllers etc. Can you remove one or two of the cartridges and get a pic inside too? I'm trying to see if/how much contamination there is inside the machine.

17. hardeez1

Thanks for the reply. Here are some pictures of inside the machine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Seems to be a lot of toner dust fro 60 pages... Especially from the yellow cartridge. The ETB (Or whatever xerox calls it) is pretty clean, so it doesn't look like there is any overly excessive spilling. The lower roller on the ETB does have a serious problem, though. (There is a hole in it!)

edit: How does the prints look when they come out?