1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nortel files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jan 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Buy buy buy!

Good old economic downturn. :/

3. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

To be fair, they deserve it. Their absolute bottom basic BCM system (a PBX) is £1000. You get two cheap, nasty, digital phones (not VoIP) with it for free. Wow.

£1000. And they expect you to pay extra to buy licenses for SIP trunking, VoIP, more seats... I remember looking at the prices of some of their bits and pieces.. You think Cisco charging £300+ for a 256MB CF card was nuts? Nortel completely eclipse that.

So no wonder they're going under.

4. Teq

Teq What's a Dremel?

I used to work for these guys and they were struggling a bit back then, hopefully they will recover but things aren't looking so good :(

5. rewind

rewind What's a Dremel?

I don't know Nortel very well but we've got a BCM in the office and we really like it, much better than our old system (which was also Nortel) We've got IP phones and I don't know about the licences but it's linked into Outlook and we can send texts around the office to each others PC's and see on your PC who's on the phone before you dial.

I'm more of a data guy and have used their switches in the past, they were good reliable boxes. I hate to loose any big IT vendor at the moment, it just weakens the industry more. I hope they pull through.

6. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i didn'te even realize nortel still existed until i saw this on CBC yesterday. i thought they had already gone under in the .com bust when their stock was worth pennies.

7. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

I still have a whole pile of BayStacks, they are dirt cheap now. But their licensing system and pricing was indeed crazy.

Tags: Add Tags