Could you recommend me a site to help Configure an Apache server?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Red Eye, 26 Jan 2009.

1. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

First of all, apologies if this thread is in the wrong place. I am looking for a good online resource where I can find help on configuring an Apache server. I am looking to configure an Apache server using a MIME Magic module which determines the MIME type of a file by looking at the first few bytes of the data. In essence all I am looking to achieve is to provide compatibility for Excel 2007 files (.xlsx). So in order to do this I need to identify is:

For an Excel 2007 (.xlsx):
    1. byte number to begin checking from
    2. type of data to match (eg. string, date, byte, long...)
    3. contents of data to match
    4. MIME type if matched (so I think I already know this to be application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet)

For example the instruction to identify a HTML can be
    1. 0
    2. \<!DOCTYPE\
    3. HTML
    4. text/html

Here's a link with more information.

I know close to nothing about configuring an Apache server. I understand this may not be the best place to ask this question, so I turn to the great Bit-Tech community who can hopefully point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advanced.

- Jay

2. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

Well it seems help has arrived, a friend had pointed me to a manual he uses in his office that might help and in did! Thanks to all.

3. OverQloker

OverQloker Haven't Touched No Dremel

Well, since you got your query sorted,,, kudos...
    btw is the afore mentioned manual an online resource?...
    care to share the link???

4. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

I'm afraid not OverQloker, on realising the woman who my friend has replaced was going to leave, she started "trying" to document how she built the servers that we use at work. I say trying because towards the end it just turned out into a diary containing things she rememebers to include. Nonetheless I found the information I needed in there but unfortunately I can't post it for everyone to use.