1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Help: New Drill

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MarkW7, 2 Feb 2009.

1. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Hello all!

I currently want to get more into modding but the drill i have wont go through my case. So im going to need a new one thats powerfull enough to do so - I don't want to spend alot though.
    I already have a Jigsaw, anthing else i may need?

Thanks all.

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

What size hole are you drilling, and are the bits sharp?

Most drills should be able to make it through thin steel / alu without any real bother, so pretty much any corded drill you can find should be good. 650 watts will go through anything ;)

3. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Will mainly be fan holes wouldnt be drilling anything thicker than a case. Maybe occassional wood.

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Ah, fan holes, they take a bit of grunt. Just get a decent corded drill and it'll do fine for that, but if you're likely to use it for anything more (round the house stuff) it might be worth spending the extra for a good cordless drill.

5. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Do i need a certain size adapters or anything with it, what am i looking for the voltage?

6. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Well presumable you already have the hole saws you're planning on using it with, all you have to do is make sure the chuck's big enough (most corded are 13mm whereas most cordless are 10mm) and that it's got enough power.

For a corded drill, as above ~650W is standard and more than powerful enough, but for a cordless it can vary by brand with a top end 14v drill besting a cheap 18v equivalent. Get something in that range though.

Your best bet is to wait for a good deal coming up on screwfix or axminster, or going into a local hardware store and asking for advice. You might even be able to haggle them down or get some free bits to go with it :thumb:

ModMinded likes this.
  7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Are you talking about cordless?

For the chuck size, ideally, you want 13mm at least. There aren't many with >13mm around that I've found.

Tesco used to do an awesome cordless one which was good for drilling serious brickwork without too much trouble (as long as it was properly charged). Only about £30.

I'd go for a corded and a cordless if it were me.

8. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

I dont have any attachments so i would need the lot i want the cheapest thing that will do the job, im assuming corded. Around 650W or above and 14v or above and 13mm chuck and above :d

- whats the difference between a drill and a hammer drill.

9. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Most corded drills and some cordless will have a hammer setting, which causes the bit to repeatedly hammer forward as it rotates. It's used to drill holes in masonry, as it acts like a chisel and a drill at the same time.

Apart from drilling brick, it has very little use, and some drills have an annoying habit of slipping into hammer when you least expect it.

10. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

A hammer drill is a normal drill, but in hammer mode bashes the bit longitudinally into the masonry (only use for masonry!) to crumble it better. Usually only on corded as it needs a fair bit of power to do, and makes that wine that reverberates through an entire house:)

Large holes need a low speed / high torque, which corded are much better at providing, but a cordless in low gear can do the job if needed:)

11. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Was looking on ebay and it was divided into drill then hammer drill so i'll just go with 'drill' as it'll be cheaper :D and im not doing masonary lol.

12. Dazbo666

Dazbo666 What's a Dremel?

I'd go with the ~650W corded drill too (oh, wait, that's exactly what I DID get ;) )
    I have a Bosch 650W corded drill that I've been using for years with no problems. It was worth paying a little extra for a quality piece of kit...
    (Just be aware that in my experience if you get the absolute cheapest item, it's more likely to fail)

13. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Only thing I would add to the above good advice is to look for a keyless chuck feature, which most should have.

14. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Thanks all, looking now.

15. davidfield375

davidfield375 Hardware Mods

I would suggest that you current drill would be fine for drilling a PC case, however the drill pieces that you are using are a different story, make sure they are of a decent quality and sharpness.

16. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

the drill i have now is old and slow, would only scrath the case, i had to use a screwdriver and a hammer lol

17. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

What do you guys think of this;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180325394759&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

He sent this info also;

The charger has a 15W symble on it but the drill has none but i would asume it to be alike to its charger. Accessories are as follows:- 5mm,6mm,7mm,8mm,9mm and 10mm socets with adaptor so that they can be used with the drill, a 5 and a 6.3 flat and a ph1 anda ph2 cross head posi-drive bits + 2 drill bits size not known! As for the drills capabilities i am not shore it has only been used to do lite tasks. Hope this helps and thanks for looking.

18. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

19. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

For some reason, hammer drills also seem to have higher speed capabilities than regular rotary-only drills, that could be useful at times.

I agree with the others' recommendations - a corded drill is what you want, given that you want to work with as low a budget as possible. Don't forget to pick up a set of quality bits!

20. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob