News At least 90% of all psychology studies are flawed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 5 Feb 2009.

1. Sathy

Sathy What's a Dremel?

What really peaks my interest is the actual reasoning for making this "news".

Would this "supposed expert's" revelation have something to do with the initiative (driven by Joe Baca), also known as "The Video Game Health Labeling Act of 2009" in the states, that might, in the future, mean games, movies and such packages would include: "WARNING: Excessive exposure to violent video games and other violent media has been linked to aggressive behavior." Wouldn't be surprised if it did and the esteemed Doc Ferguson was just another pawn chosen to represent "the other view".

It's true, that psychological studies are difficult to arrange, as everything has an impact on the results, starting from the surroundings and the task at hand all the way down what words are used in giving instructions to the test subjects on what they're supposed to do and what is supposedly being studied - supposedly, because you can't get reliable results if the subject knows what is being studied in behaviour related matters. All this is just the very basics I admit, but I'm sure you get the point.

As long as we don't know the details of the studies, and if they indeed are as silly as the "loud noises" example, I'm still remaining as critical as before of all studies linked with aggression.

How ever, pulling numbers like 90-95% out of the magicians hat, without any hint of proof is just stupid and in my mind completely negates any "opinions" that Dr. Ferguson (who, as a criminal psychologist is of questionable authority in the matter to start with) might have. It's not only stupid, it's seriously undermining to his own field of expertise and as others have already pointed out, what he is saying himself. Clearly this is a case of not really considering thoroughly, or not caring and wanting to slam something big and meaty to the table for the shock value. Any other value is questionable.

If he would be saying that most psychological studies involving games (and other media ) in relation to aggressive behavior are flawed, it would sound a lot more plausible. But generalizing, without showing any proof for his statements just makes him another puppet - in my view.

Not only because of what he says alone, but also because the timing is rather convenient.

I would've expected a more critical standpoint for making this actual news, as it isn't exactly in anyone's best interest to further undermine - without good reason - a field of study that, linked with games, is already considered more a joke than anything else.

Last edited: 6 Feb 2009
  2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]

Well duh Dr. Ferguson. All scientific studies are flawed --bar mathematics, perhaps. It is impossible to do a "perfect" scientific study because our understanding of and reasoning about the subject is flawed, our methods of experimentation, observation and measurement are flawed (hence we talk about "measurement error"), our statistical analysis is flawed (hence we talk about "statistical error"; I mean, we're often dealing with probability intervals. That should tell you something), our interpretations are flawed and above all, our research budget is flawed.

In psychology in particular, research studies are frequently hampered by lack of money, available subjects (whose choice to take part, and knowledge of taking part in a study may influence their behaviour) and particularly research ethics committees. You just can't do a study like Zimbardo or Millgram used to do... :sigh:

Do such flaws invalidate a scientific study? Possibly they limit its interpretations and perhaps even its validity to some extent. On the other hand, the planes still fly --mostly; medication still cures diseases --mostly; my psychology patients still improve --mostly. It's just not a perfect world.

3. Trefarm

Trefarm No matter what... It's all good

look at it like this...
    it's natural selection/evolution/monkies and typewriters... scientists write a thousand papers most are nonsense, one is genius... so learn to love the nonsense it's all part of the process..

4. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

No. The choice should remain firmly on the parents shoulders. Advisory stickers are the best policy I feel. It should remain clear, in no uncertain terms that it's the parents responsibility to choose what is best for their offspring, until a certain age.

Tags: Add Tags