1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bluetooth, Schmuethooth....

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 26 Sep 2002.

1. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Bluetooth, the technology that allowes you to place two enabled devices together to communicate.

pfft, my rectal path does it..... I've been trying for 3 days now to get an iPAQ to talk to a laptop via bluetooth, yeah sure enought they see eachother, but trying to get them to do something together! The only thing i've seen working via bluetooth and a pc was a mobile phone, even then It was not straightforward.

I work as I.T tech and had to figure out why it were not working, in the end it turned out they both needed passcodes to work, which was NOT indicated anywhere in the manuals!
    P.S. On a mobile the passcode is the phones "Security Code" which is usually set to 12345

Anyway, back to the iPAQ, you start up activesync and use com port 8 (the bluetooth) com and It says device found iPAQ. Good I think, start activesync, after 1 minute activesync stops and says - "The device cannot be recognised"

AAAARGH!! Both devices are patched to the eyballs and all 3 manufacturers, Microsoft, 3com and Compaq claim the equip should work with eachother instantly... pfft.... Bluetooth, it's going to end up toothless in a minute!!! :miffed:

2. CrOaKeR

CrOaKeR Host warrior 4, Vengence!

The only time i have ever used it is between mobile phones, and i also found it to be poor! It seemed to be losing connection, even though i was 1 foot away! Please give us better protocols!

3. :: Phat ::

Mobile 2 Mobile connection I find is quite good, however once you've got the connection there's not much else you can do!

4. DaWibbla

DaWibbla What's a Dremel?

Thank god i'm not the only one having problems with bluetooth and ipaqs! I have a bluetooth dongle that should work coz it's got the right protocals, but when i try connecting my ipaq, activesync seems to find a connection but crashes (and looks like it's still working).

CAN ANYONE HELP!?!?

5. :: Phat ::

The problem I was having was the Active Sync would open the Bluetooth DUN port but it would claim that there was no supported device on that com. What I did in the end was download all the latest drivers and ROM flashes ETC...

We connect using a 3com PCMCIA Bluetooth dongle, in the end it was 3COM's "Ipaq Patch" or similar that got it going.... just patch it man! Unfortunately, once you get them set up it's not to say it's going to work everytime!!! But once it does its superb. I could remote control the server in work sitting in my car in the car park! Schweeeeet!

6. DaWibbla

DaWibbla What's a Dremel?

Now THAT'S what i call good implementation of technology!

I've updated my Ipaq to version 2.20 (latest ROM) and all other patches i've found. Is it DUN or serial that i need to be connecting to my computer on?