1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage need some help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by camera man, 11 Feb 2009.

1. camera man

camera man What's a Dremel?

hey guys i need a little bit of help i bilt my first system and i put a 1tb hdd in it but it died i would like to know what do you guy and girls think would be the best hdd the computer is for gaming but i dont wanna spend to much would like any thing over or equal to 150 gig i live in the channel islands so only english sites if you like please thanks in advance

2. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Whoa, hold up - how do you know it died? And if you're absolutely sure it's a hardware failure, is it still under warranty and/or are you able to return it to wherever you bought it from?

- Diosjenin -

3. camera man

i am sure it died because of the sound it makes upon boot up i know a scratching sound and failure to boot error is a bad thing lol but i am awaiting response from micro direct to find out what will happen coz if i have to pay shipping its not worth sending it back due to the obsenily expensive shipping cost where i live to Manchester

4. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

Thats mad!

Surely the company should pay for the shipping if it's faulty. You may have to fork up the shipping fee for sending it back, but they should then refund it once the hard drive has been confirmed faulty.

5. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

I had great results with Samsung drives, so much so that my new i7 PC has 7 1TB Spinpoints in it.

Quiety and reliable, but like any drive I would not trust any important data to only one device. Make sure you have a proper backup plan.

Raid != Backup

6. camera man

yer its a samsung spinpoint 1tb drive that died i have sent it back so waiting on reply.
    i would have done a RAID config but i couldnt afford it at the tym. at the moment im lookin at the 150gig raptor wanted to know what u lot think of it???

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

your telling me that shipping costs to microdirect from with in the UK costs more than the drive is worth. I suggest you give them a ring and ask for a returns address and RMA number, as royal mail dont charge that much, HDD dosen't weigh that much. 1st class royal mail wouldn't cost more than £4 at most! And its insured for up to £150.

I think you need to re-think your plan.

8. davidfield375

davidfield375 Hardware Mods

I would suggest getting a 12,000+ RPM drive, they are relatively cheap if you go for a 50GB, then you could buy a 500GB drive at a normal 7,200 RPM drive for all your files.