1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows PC Protection

Discussion in 'Software' started by BlueOcean, 25 Jan 2009.

1. CandyMan

CandyMan What's a Dremel?

I use AVG and a Comodo Firewall and absolutely love it. I've also put it on friends & familys computers & they absolutely love it also. Both are free over the internet.

2. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Why is that? I've got the business edition (it's what I'm licenced for) running on my rigs, so far it's fine (IE it sits there and doesn't bug me or take over the PC)

What was better in the older versions?

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Personally, I like the old interface better, but it is said that the detection rate has suffered a bit too. I still rank NOD32 as one of the best anti virus solutions available, however.

4. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Can you let me know where it is said that the new one is not as good at picking up threats? I'm asking as we just forked out for 35 licences and I want to know more

Ta

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I can tell you, but it probably won't do you much good. I've read about it in a recent test of antivirus software in the reputed German c't Magazin. Issue 23/08, if I recall correctly.

The general conclusion was that Avira AntiVir and (who'd have thought) Norton AntiVirus 2009 were the best current AV products. Both NOD32 and Kaspersky still rank among the best, but apparently they didn't fare as well as in the last test.

I no longer have access to the article, but as far as I recall the heuristics no longer are as good as they once were.

Compared to the vast majority of other AV software out there you've still bought some of the best protection. There was a recent update to the previously mentioned test where they had a look at enterprise solutions, and they usually fare even worse than desktop AV software. The majority of the products were deemed not worthy of purchase.

6. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

My family still uses Norton Internet Security - they're more comfortable with paying for a product, so I have them buy a single-license OEM copy of the newest version available every year, which is a great deal if you're only installing it on one PC.

I personally use the lightweight, powerful, and free Comodo Internet Security. I dual-boot Vista and XP - I have CIS installed on both OSs, and it hasn't let one virus onto either since I installed it (and has definitely warned me about more than one). IMO, one of the best pieces of free software available anywhere and for any purpose.

- Diosjenin -

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Just switched from free (AVG, Online Armour) to paid (Kaspersky).

I decided to switch because AVG was getting on my wick (if I want to use a file that AVG says is dangerous I want the final say :wallbash:) and I'd tried the free alternatives and they either:
    Didn't work on my machine
    I didn't like them.
    And I'd heard good things about Kaspersky (importantly for me, that it is very light on resources.)

So far I'm very happy.
    The interface is nice and intuitive (it is nice to have everything in one place for a change) but doesn't hide away your ability to customise settings. It uses less resources than the AVG/OA combo (ie. not much at all) and the level of protection seems, and has been shown to be, very solid.

Also, importantly, it was cheap. £13 for a 3 user 1 year OEM (since I am an OEM, kinda :)) version of the Internet Security Suite 2009 from Scan.

8. Entropy

Entropy le mayo

What's UAC?

9. ichatfilipina

ichatfilipina What's a Dremel?

Kaspersky and PC Guard.

10. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

11. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

12. Entropy

Entropy le mayo

I have no idea why I didn't google it, normally I either search google or wikipedia for ANYTHING I don't know...