1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Mini PSU feeding off of a normal PSU

Discussion in 'Modding' started by xXLGXx, 4 Mar 2009.

1. xXLGXx

xXLGXx What's a Dremel?

Hello there. Long time reader (years) first time poster.

I was just wondering if anybody here has dabbled with the mini/pico PSU's out there, that work on 12v DC current (using those bricks), and hooking them up to get their voltage from another PSU.

Considering that a normal PSU does deliver a pure 12v DC current, I see no obstacles to splice the mini/pico PSU into the main PSU.
    I am aware that if the main goes down, so does the other.
    I am hoping that there aren't that many issues, since I was planning on running a via M10000 within another computer (heat is not an issue).
    Mainly so I wouldn't need extra cables. Most things hooking up through internal cables/wireless/kvm and my monitor has 2 inputs that it can switch between.

Basically it will be a MB+HDD+input hookups... thats it.

Anybody know if this is possible? Or do I have to gut a brick and reduce the size and try to stow it inside also?

Many thanks LG

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

There is a thread here:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=154608

from the now missing in action Langer that has done exactly what you want.
    He has a pico inside his case. No wall wort external blob PSU.

john - I don't know why I keep doing this.

3. xXLGXx

xXLGXx What's a Dremel?

I went over the entire thread. Awesome build (been reading it for a while), but I only saw a glance of the pico going into his computer. Nothing that confirms that it actually worked out.
    His build is still a wip though.
    Any other linkies I can get :D

4. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

if you shoot Langer a PM he might get back to you with some details, not sure how busy he is right now but he helped me out with some questions i had a few weeks back

5. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

it should work with out worries as long as the main PSU can provide enough current for the second PSU.