1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News id Software set to reveal new game?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 Jul 2007.

1. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

RTCW2 RTCW2 RTCW2 RTCW2 RTCW2!!!

/need

2. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

do people really sit there in a seat that makes their ass as inconspicuous as a flashing neon sign ?

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

It aint RTCW2, that's being developed by someone else (who escapes me at the moment), and is definately in production, release point maybe 2009. It also aint the tech demo shown at MacWorld, that was just a 5 day messup to show off the new engine, but the cars in the demo are an indication that the new engine will feature a variety of transport methods, including foot and various vehicles.

Personally, this leads me to believe it's an RPG/FPS. id have stated it'll be more story driven, not a typical id shooter and concentrate mainly on single player. With an engine capable of vehciles as well as foot, large open terrain and unique texturing a major feature (which is most important for large outdoor type areas), an RPG seems again likely. Finally, Carmack once stated the game would be a new IP, but a name familiar to hardcore fans, which Quest fits the description of. So yeah, fingers crossed it's gonna be Quest. Personally the idea of id doing an Oblivion type game just sounds bleeding sweet, but games can change so much during development (look at D3, that changed massively since it's conception, the whole gameplay style totally altered) whatever the truth is now, it's unlikely to still be the truth when it launches.

4. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

There were unfinished buggies in the doom3 code and they had the hovertank thingies and walker? in quake 4 (Unless I'm getting mixed up, which I have to admit is possible ;p) so vehicles aren't neccessarily anything new, though ones with proper wheels might have taken extra work.

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

6. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Bit early to entirely grasp what its about, but that looks a lot better than there usual same-old same-old!

I note that carmack still hasn't managed to do decent hair by the looks of the hat and all the bald people :lol:

7. mayakovski

mayakovski 10" blade with a 5/8" arbor.

or a id Remake of John Romero's Daikatana?

Oh Yeah, now that would be funny. Come on John, I dare ya.

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Nope, it was Rage.

Although the thing that always puzzled me was that id stated originally it would be an ip people recognised. Rage isn't, it's brand new. Maybe Rage actually wasn't what they were planning originally?

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

They did also announce Doom RPG for iPhone recently, IIRC.

10. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Doom RPG has been a mobile game for a few years, and it was only co-developed by id. The accouncement was just a port. But then again you could be right, and id are just being lame with their hype.

11. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

They are such a crappy company imo. First of all they need to hire some kind of business manager, because if you only develop one game at a time, it can't be very healthy for the company for that game to take several years to complete. But most of all, they need to hire some new games designers. They may have a good knowledge of technology but their games are boring and outdated.

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Second time this thread has been resurrected! Got me all excited until I realised it dated back to 2007!

Bit of an odd comment though, how many developers are actively producing more than one game at any one time?

Personally I'm enjoying Rage, although it is a bit of a strange mishmash of a game.

Sent from Bittech Android app

13. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Besides which, I'd assume iD make more money from other developers licensing their engine than the game's they make to show that engine off.

14. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Not many, but my point is that the ones who make one at a time, at least get in done in a few years. They also make sure it's good enough to be a huge hit.

That's true. But still, other companies do that and still get a good game out regularly. Crytek being the latest example and the Unreal games before it and loads of others I can't think of.

I just find it sad that the company who once was so on the button that they practically invented an entire genre of game, and every game they made was a big deal and one of the best games of it's kind at the time, is now screwing around with a fugly looking sandbox shooter that has been done before at least a few times already, and some would argue, far better.

Tags: Add Tags